How to use flash drive in Windows

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by hollyobrien, Sep 27, 2006.

1. hollyobrien

hollyobrien Junior Member

I have Parallels and Windows XP with Publisher installed on my Mac OS X. How do I get Windows to open a flash drive Publisher document started on my husband's PC? I guess I just want to know how to use a flash drive in Windows and how to carry something over from the MAC to Windows.

thanks for any help.

2. Fred

Fred Junior Member

Using a flash drive in a VM

First insert the flash drive into a handy USB socket on the Mac.

Now you need to connect it to the VM you are using.

If you have USB autoconnect enabled it may connect automatically. If not you need to manually select it in the USB menu - see Devices>USB>.... You can explicitly connect up to 2 devices to a VM. The list in the menu may be much larger but only devices with a tick against them are directly connected. Other devices such as mouse, keyboard, etc are being used by OS X and are accessed indirectly.

When you connect the flash drive device - it gets a tick and windows will attempt to mount its file system. You then use it as a normal removeable disk and eject it when you have finished.

OS X knows how to handle flash drives too and there will be some competition. It may be a good idea to plug in the flash drive and if OS X mounts it, eject it in OS X. If the drive is still physically plugged in you can then connect to it in windows.

When you eject your flash drive in windows, OS X will then notice it again and mount it. You should eject it in OS X before physically removing from the USB socket.