USB from Mac OS

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by BruceK, Sep 27, 2006.

1. BruceK

BruceK Member

I've had to enable USB Autoconnect within Parallels so that I can communicate with my Garmin devices. But how can I then connect a USB device and access it within the Mac OS? Parallels now assumes that any USB device connect belongs to it. So far the only way I've been successful is to Pause Parallels before connecting the device. Is there a more elegant solution?

Thanks.

2. Tanker10a

Tanker10a Junior Member

You'll have to disconnect it by ejecting it from "Windows>MyComputer" and then reconnect the USB for the Mac to mount it on the Desktop. That is the only way that I have had to swap out my removeable USB Devices. I hope that helps...
    Now if only someone could tell me how why my Treo700P cannot HotSynch through Parrallels, I would be a very happy camper...
    Cheers!
    Tanker10a

3. BruceK

BruceK Member

I've tried disconnecting it from Win XP but then the only way I know of getting the Mac to recognize it is to remove the drive and plug it in again. Which results in XP getting it by default again. Is there a way of getting the Mac to refresh its drive list without removing and reattaching a drive?

Regarding your Treo, do you have Autoconnect On?

4. Fred

Fred Junior Member

Why do you need to autoconnect? You should be able to connect your devices by selecting them in the Devices>USB>... menu. If a removeable drive gets mounted by OS X, eject it in OS X and then manually connect it to the VM.

Even if you are still auto-connecting, you can manually disconnect your device from the VM after ejecting it in windows (ie select it in the Devices>USB>... menu to remove the tick) but you can leave it physically plugged in, then OS X will grab it as per normal.

If you ever have disks plugged in which you have ejected, USB or firewire or whatever, you can always use disk utility in the /Applications/Utiltiies/.. folder to manually remount any physically attached disks. So if none of the above makes sense try disk utility and see how you get on.

5. BruceK

BruceK Member

The only way I was able to get Win XP to talk with my Garmin Streetpilot 3 was to turn Autoconnect On. Didn't work the other way...