Games- copy protection doesn't like parallels

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by AlexG55, Jun 28, 2006.

1. AlexG55

AlexG55 Bit poster

OK, here's the situation. I have a MacBook on which I'm running parallels. I installed some windows games. However, when I try to play a game (from the original CD) it says that I'm using a copy and asks me to insert the real CD. Any suggestions?
    Also, I have DirectX installed on the XP side, but games don't notice it. Do I need to do something on the Mac side?

2. Icedevil

Icedevil Bit poster

I have the same problem when I try to play Battlefield 2. Its freshly installed from the store bought DVD, but I says I need to insert the disc while the disc is in the drive and shows up under "My Computer"

I'd really like to play some battlefield 2, I haven't been able to since my previous PC kerchunked, which is why I bought a brand new Intel iMac thinking I could.

3. BlueSkyISdotCOM

BlueSkyISdotCOM Member

You can still play your game, but using Apple Boot Camp.

4. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

i dont know about the CD issue. I would suggest that this is due to the emulated CD drive rather than accessing the drive natively. As for playing Battlefield 2, AFAIK, Parallels doesnt support 3d acceleration or driect draw, so you wont be able to play anything that requires 3d graphics. This is coming in future releases apparently, although I doubt it'll ever be as fast as a natively instaled version of Windows due to the hardware emulation that occurs.

5. Paul Linden

Paul Linden Member

Issues with copy protected CDs is a known problem. I brought it up a long time ago.

If you use Daemon Tools 3.4.7 (not DT4) with an ISO, you can get past the CD requirement. But you may still have problems with lack of 3D support.

6. extensivegroup

extensivegroup Member

I'd love to hear how this turns out. Or doesn't, as I'd expect zero 3D support.

One of my all-time favorite games is a more "2D" gamed called Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds (Clone Campaigns). I'm downloading Daemon Tools now. Thanks for the tip.

7. stormj

stormj Member

Holy Cow! You're saying Daemon Tools 3.4.7 works?! That's the best news I've had about Parallels in a long time.

Now maybe I can get my precious Oxford English Dictionary working in Parallels. That was really the last app I needed to move over.