Unable to communicate w/hypervisor?? Worked fine yesterday

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Shari.sld, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Shari.sld

Shari.sld Member

Build 1862 & OS X 10.4.8 parallels will not launch

Parallels has been working perfectly until now - tried to open XP and got the message that it was unable with hypervisor.

The only change I made since yesterday was that I installed Mac OSX update last night.

Parallels: Build 1862 Beta installed 8/7/06

iMac 20" 2 ghz intel core duo
    1.5gb of memory
    OSX 10.4.8

I'm not a techie or a geek - I do accounting - so I'm at a quandry as to what to do - as I'm not even really sure what "hypervisor" is. Any suggestions?

I would like to avoid updating Parallels to a new version - as this set-up has been functioning perfectly with Quickbooks 2006 Accountant Version and Peachtree Pro 2007.

Thanx in advance for any help.
    Shari

Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  2. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

When you do an OSX OS update you probably have to re-install Parallels. Don't uninstall it, just install the same version you have over again. This will not wipe your VMs as far as I know: it does not wipe mine, but don't come after me if it wipes yours ;)

OS updates often hide "kernel updates" in them, which would mean that the kernel portion of parallels (the "hypervisor") also needs to be re-installed.

Parallels could fix this by checking if the hypervisor is there when Parallels starts, and reinstall it if it is not there. This might require a reboot, and in that case Parallels should prompt the user that maybe it is a good idea to reboot.

3. mvk

mvk Member

Exact same problem. Uninstalling/reinstalling Parallels does not correct the problem. Rebooted, etc., install over as well as uninstall.install, all tried without sucess.

4. manfredell

manfredell Hunter

Updated to 10.48. Did not reinstall Parallels. It runs fine as before.

5. Shari.sld

Shari.sld Member

Are you using the machine & config? Also, are you running on the original intel mac or one of the newer macs? I'm wondering if it could be a conflict with the type of intel mac.

I did send an error report to Parallel - as of yet have not received a response - and I will not hold my breath to get one. I love parallels, but this may force me to bootcamp......

thanx for any additional info you provide

6. Shari.sld

Shari.sld Member

Bump - try to isolate the machines/specs that are different allowing some to work and other not to.

S

7. joem

joem Forum Maven

My configuration is the same as yours except for Mac model, and Parallels, networking, and everything else works fine.

Did you try reinstalling Parallels (same version)?

8. Shari.sld

Shari.sld Member

MVK in prior post indicated that all that was attempted and did not work, so I have not. Having noted in posts over the months that many times the issue only causes the problem on some models and not others. I see you are on a MacBook Pro and your vm is win2k Pro - mine is a 2)" imac with winxp-pro.

Hoping that manfredell would provide his config info.

Thanx for input - hopefully a pattern will show up.

S

9. joem

joem Forum Maven

Reinstalling will not cause problems, and would be the first thing tech support would suggest. No need to uninstall anything -- just install Parallels again. It won't touch your VM. The particular VM has nothing to do with your problem either. It's Parallels itself that won't start.

Unable to communicate with the hypervisor is an internal Parallels problem or a result of your installing something. Reinstalling Parallels will reset it.

And if it isn't working, what problem could it cause?