Does Parallels Support OpenSUSE 10.1?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by DarylF2, Sep 30, 2006.

1. DarylF2

DarylF2 Member

I've had an extremely frustrating time trying to install OpenSUSE 10.1 in Parallels Desktop (build 1922). This is on my (January 2006) 20" iMac Core Duo 2.0GHz with 2.0GB RAM running Mac OS X 10.4.7.

Its gets to the final step (after hours of installing...) then seems to hang when "Aanlyzing the System" in the Hardware Configuration step. Networking (using a static IP) seems to be working, and I've tried both performing the online update installation step and also skipping the online update. I've tried installing from the physical CDs as well from their ISO images.

Does anyone know any way around this?

I need SUSE 10.1 installed for work on Monday, and if this doesn't work I'll be forced to buy VMWare and run it under Boot Camp...

2. DarylF2

DarylF2 Member

I got a 30-day license for VMware Workstation for Windows and installed it on my iMac under Boot Camp. SUSE Linux 10.1 installed fine under VMware Workstation for Windows, so it does appear that Parallels is the problem here. :(

Hopefully Parallels will get this issue ironed out before my 30 day trial for VMware is up, or I'll have no choice but to buy it. Ugh...

3. websyndicate

websyndicate Hunter

Suse works for me want it?

Im running suse 10.1 on my macbook 2.0ghz with 2gb ram. Runs fine and at full resolution. I dont see why your having problems. Email me an address and i would be happy to foward you an image from my computer that works.

4. DarylF2

DarylF2 Member

Interesting... What version of Parallels were you using when you installed OpenSUSE 10.1?

I'd be very heppy take you up on your offer, but I require a pretty huge installation of OpenSUSE 10.1, including KDE, the office applications, and all of the C/C++/Python, & KDE development tools... The VMware installation I created last night is over 4 GB!

5. websyndicate

websyndicate Hunter

One of the kids in my class let me use it and i took his advice and used KDE in new to linux. Its on @ 8gb partition. Let me know what I can do to be of help. The one problem I had was burning it properly I just ended up using his 5 iso cd-r disc but I skipped on the add ons. 10.1

6. websyndicate

websyndicate Hunter

Let me know if youlike a copy because Im doing the same thing for another friend tomorrow. One trip to the post office and get both of you hopefully on you way.

7. DarylF2

DarylF2 Member

I hate being a burden, but I will take you up on your generous offer. I sent you a private message with my postal address, and I'll be very happy to compensate you for the media/shipping costs and for your time. Thanks!!

8. websyndicate

websyndicate Hunter

I will ship it out tomorrow after work. You should get it in about 5 day or less it's coming from Washington State Glad I could be of help

9. DarylF2

DarylF2 Member

Thank you!!

10. lmhaffner

lmhaffner Junior Member

I had a similar problem under 1918, at least. It was hanging at the Audio portion of this step. What I did--and I don't know if what I did actually fixed it--was to go into the audio/driver subsection of the summary screen right before you click next to execute this hardware config. In there, I didn't do much, just clicked around and made sure that the right audio hardware was selected. However, I did make it play a sound with the "test" button in that dialog before returning to the summary and letting it go through with the hardware setup. It's hard to know what it's doing here, unfortunately without more diagnostics to go on :(

But, after it punched through there, I have a very nice SUSE 10.1 Parallels install now! Networking, sound, VT-x all seem to work great. I miss the cursor sharing that Windows in Parallels has though...

11. DarylF2

DarylF2 Member

websyndicate, the DVD arrived today! Thanks! I should get time to install it over the weekend, and I'll be sure to report back here as to my progress.

Thanks again!

12. harryc

harryc Member

The 'hang' condition is caused by allocating greater than 512MB RAM allocated to the 10.1 VM. Keep it to 512 and under and SuSE will load. This is obviously a parallels bug.

13. websyndicate

websyndicate Hunter

very good Im waiting to know how it works for you

14. DarylF2

DarylF2 Member

I didn't have time to get to this this weekend... Hopefully I can try it sometime this week. I'll at least get Parallels moved to the Mac Pro and test the image you sent sometime this week. I am greateful for you sending it, and please know it will be of great use to me!

15. websyndicate

websyndicate Hunter

Just keep me posted on the info

16. DarylF2

DarylF2 Member

After work today I installed Parallels Desktop build 1922 on my Mac Pro and it booted the SUSE image you sent me without a problem! Thanks!

I'd like to compensate your for the disk, shipping, and your time. Let me know what you think is fair. Thanks again! :)

17. harryc

harryc Member

How much memory did you allocate to the SuSE VM? I'm trying to see if the greater than 512MB RAM allocated/hang problem is still around on 1922.

18. DarylF2

DarylF2 Member

I allocated 512MB to it because of that bug. I haven't tried more, but may do so tomorrow.

19. DarylF2

DarylF2 Member

Ironically, after getting this working, it looks like I'll have to buy a real PC to run SUSE after all!

The OpenGL app I'm writing uses a library that requires hardware accelerated 3-D/OpenGL, and crashes (with an ""indirect_vertex_array.c:1359: __indirect_glTexCoordPointer"" error) without it... So far it looks like no workaround exists, so I'm pricing inexpensive PCs this weekend... :(