network issues

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by blamb327, Sep 21, 2006.

1. blamb327

blamb327 Bit poster

I can use Parallels with Windows XP and it always works nice when I first start it up. After I go to one web page though, or about 5 minuts later I lose connection to the internet.

I have gotten it to work for a longer time (say 15 minutes), but it eventually stops working until i restart it. Any ideas?

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

Mac model?
    Parallels build number?
    Installed RAM?
    RAM allocated to Parallels?
    RAM allocated to guest?
    Bridged or host only networking?
    Wired or wireless?
    DHCP or hard coded IP?

Answers to those questions might narrow it down to the point where someone might have an idea.

Just off the top of my head, sometimes intermittent network access is caused by an IP conflict.

3. blamb327

blamb327 Bit poster

iMac Core Duo (17 in")
    Parallels Desktop for Mac Build 1898 (9/17/06)
    1.5 GB installed RAM
    512 kb RAM allocated to Parallels
    I think I'm using the Bridged Ethernet. It says Bridged Ethernet; en1: AirPort/Wireless Adapter
    Wireless
    Not sure on DHCP or hard coded IP

On my mac under Sharing here is what I found:

Under "services", Windows Sharing is checked and on. (thats it for that tab)
    Firewall is Off, Windows Sharing is checked but everything is greyed out
    Under the "Internet" tab, it says Internet Sharing On: Sharing your AirPort Connection

Then it says Share your connection from : AirPort (greyed out)
    To computers using: Ethernet Adaptor (en2) is checked. All selections are greyed out though. Build in Ethernet and FireWire are unchecked.

Does that help provide information for trouble shooting purposes? What else can I try?

4. joem

joem Forum Maven

OK, if you're using bridged Ethernet, then sharing should be off (share your connection from). You only need to turn that on if you are using host only networking.

With your firewall off, the wondows sharing is irrelevant.

If you didn't set an IP address in Parallels, you aren't using a hard coded IP, and must have a DHCP server on your network. If you are using dialup, you wll have to switch to host only networking. If you are using DSL or a cable modem, you may or may not have a DHCP server built in to the modem. If you are using a router (and with cable or DSL, I consider a firewall router a must) then the router will have A DHCP server built in.

Describe your network setup if that isn't enough.

5. Knaledge

Knaledge Bit poster

He is experiencing the same problem I am having.

base mac pro model nothing added

no weird software (seriously, OS 10.4.8 w/ parallels 1922.. firefox.. WoW.. thats about it)

Win XP Pro w/ SP 2 loses connectivity after about 1-5 minutes and the only way to bring it back is vi a "Repair" through TCP / IP settings or under the status sheet for the connection.

The host OS (OS X) works fine during this problem under the Guest OS (Win XP under parallels).

Meaning

OS X = intarwebz.

Parallels w/ Win XP = OH NOES! NO intermesh.

6. joem

joem Forum Maven

Again, describe your network setup.
    Dialup? Cable? DSL?
    Router?
    Other machines on the network?
    Wired or wireless?

7. blamb327

blamb327 Bit poster

We have Yahoo DSL.

We use a router setup. I believe the router brand is 2wire.

There are three computers on the network. I think one of the computers is hard wired ethernet and the other two are wireless (including my mac). It is possible all three are wireless.

8. joem

joem Forum Maven

OK, you should have Internet sharing off (OSX), and you probably have to change the MAC address in Parallels. With your VM off, in the Parallels VM property page, go to network adapter. Set it to either Airport or default (default if you will ever plug in an Ethernet cable). Then click Advanced, and change the MAC address low order digit to something unique on your network. If your other machines are Macs, this may take either some investigating or a couple of tries. Also make sure that the Windows machine name and the Mac short name are different. This will make sure the router sees the VM as a different machine so it will get a unique IP address. I'm using a similar setup and it's working fine for me for days at a time.

9. diapertech

diapertech Bit poster

've got the same problems-intermittent wireless network under Parallels. On the Mac-side the internet works perfectly. On the XP-side it's hit-or-miss. It works for a couple secs at the most after I boot XP up.

Parallels Settings
    Network Adapter-Emulation: en1: Airport..., MAC address: 00852579E887, IP (as reported by router [2wire]): 192.168.1.37
    Setup wireless network config in XP (ie router WEP key etc)

Mac Settings
    Airport-IP: 192.168.1.34
    Parallels Host-Guest Adapter-IP: 10.37.129.2 (didn't set it up, router DHCP range is from 192.168.1.33-250), MAC address: 00:01:23:45:67:89
    Personal File Sharing-ON

Why is it only connecting to the network for a brief moment? The fact that it connects means that things should be in order, right? This is really frustrating!!!

10. gilevans

gilevans Bit poster

Same thing here...

Internet works for about 45 seconds, then loses connection. If I wait a couple of minutes, oddly enough it comes back. Sometimes. Very odd. Happens only with airport wireless connection on a MBP. Latest build, but this has been happening with every build for a while now.

I wish someone had a fix for this. Or at least a clue...I emailed Parallels support, but guess what? They never replied.

11. joem

joem Forum Maven

Have a look at your IP as reported by ifconfig in terminal (en1) and by XP using ipconfig at the command line. They should be different.

I'm assuming you are using bridged Ethernet. I'm using it with my MBP and it hasn't failed yet. I use it for hours at a time with different hot spots and never have a problem once I get Airport connected.

12. gilevans

gilevans Bit poster

I seem to have fixed it...

I'm crossing my fingers that this will last, but so far so good. I was getting the internet connection starts but then stops problem described here. Sometimes, I couldn't even get a connection. Sometimes, if I left it alone and did nothing, the connection would suddenly reappear. I have a MBP running latest version of Parallels and I'm connecting to my DSL through a wireless router over the MBP's airport. Anyway, here's what I did...on a lark, I opened my Local Area Connection, and then opened the TCP/IP properties box. Instead of Obatin IP Address automatically, I clicked "use the following address" and just assigned it 192.168.1.106, an address that I knew was free. I set the subnet mask to the usual 255.255.255.0, and since my DSL router was located at 192.168.1.254, I put that in under default gateway. Then, since I don't much about any of this stuff, I also put 192.168.1.254 into the Perferred DNS server box and didn't put anything into the Alternate DNS server box. I clicked okay and tried it. Worked perfectly. I now get internet all the time, with no interruptions. In fact, I'm typing this over the connection right now. All the network info I used was taken from IPCONFIG/ALL, which I ran from command prompt in XP.