Windows 2000 Install

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by solutions, Oct 1, 2006.

1. solutions

solutions Bit poster

Hi,

I have searched the forums, but this seems like too general of a question to find the answer to. My Windows 2000 Pro disk is only SP1. The Parallels manual says that only sp4 is supported. However, I have read posts of people instaling SP1.

Wen I insert my disk, and run a Virtual machine form it, it says no bot disk is available. Is this because I do not have a SP4 CD? If so, is there a way to slip stream SP4 on a Mac? Could there be a different issue? Do I need to create/download a bootdisk?

Thank you for your help.

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

Win2k at any level can be installed on a VM. Once it's installed, you can install the service packs, then Parallels tools to have a fully functional system.

MS supplied Win2k CDs are not bootable. You need four boot floppies which you can extract from the CD using OSX. Rename the floppy images to .fdd before you try to attach them.

Boot using the first image. When asked for the next disk, switch images. After the fourth, follow the directions on your screen. It reads the CD just fine from the Mac drive or from an image on your hard disk.

3. solutions

solutions Bit poster

Thank you for this info. In the CD folders, there is a folder called BOOTDISK. I tried to copy the 4 CDBOOT files in the folder and name then .fdd and when that did not work, .iso. When they were called .fdd, Parallels did nto recognize them as valid images, so I could not try to start the Machine with them. When they were .iso, parallels said no boot disk available. I also tried downloading the bootdisks from here:

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

and name them .fdd, which did not work either. Can you please tell me how to "extract" the files from the boot CD, as the things I am doing do not seem to work.

Thanks!

4. joem

joem Forum Maven

The four boot files in the bootdisk folder are the ones you want. Copy them to your hard disk using Finder. Rename them .fdd, connect the first one to the VM floppy, set it to enabled, set boot order to start with floppy, and it should work. That's how I did it.

5. solutions

solutions Bit poster

Thanks for the help. Worked perfectly.

6. solutions

solutions Bit poster

Now that 2000 is up and running, it only has 16 color bits for an option and 800x600 is the max resolution. I have upgraded to SP4. Is this the case with yours as well?

Thanks.

7. joem

joem Forum Maven

Now install Parallels tools.

And when you get a chance, you might want to browse the manual -- it's full of interesting stuff.

8. solutions

solutions Bit poster

Your right. I was so hung up reading the manual for the first issue that I didn't go back to look at the second. I appreciate the help!

9. JaredL2

JaredL2 Bit poster

I did it the same way, but I kept getting a Blue Screen of Death.