no network after migration assistant to C2D imac

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by michaelant, Oct 1, 2006.

1. michaelant

michaelant Junior Member

I'd been using Parallels great on my core duo imac w/2G ram for quite a while and had no problems with network connectivity. I've got a cable modem and no router, and had to use host only networking with internet sharing because of that, but it worked fine, I'd go into parallels for web stuff where it didn't want to work on mac browsers.

got a new core 2 duo imac with 2G ram, used migration assistant to move everything from the old imac. got the 1922 release after seeing that it did something for the core 2 duos with 2G ram and above. did the 1922 install, rebooted the mac, first time trying to run xp in parallels gave my mac a kernel panic, but that's only happened once. ran the parallels tools. can't get networking to work and I've tried a lot of different combinations of things, I really don't remember what I had working before, I thought it was just defaults and after doing host only networking with internet sharing it worked.

there are a few settings I can think of that might need to be in a different combination, maybe someone can tell me the config that is supposed to work if I need host only networking with internet sharing.

(1)I have internet sharing on from built in ethernet to ethernet adapter (en2), and host only networking selected, with device status enabled and connect cable at startup enabled

(2)parallels host-guest adapter is installed on the mac - should it be for host only, and if it should, should it have an ip address assigned to it? I've tried renewing the dhcp lease but doesn't get an IP. however it did have an address 10.37.129.2 I believe, though I still did not have network. I don't remember why or when exactly the it lost that IP.

(3)the parallels network tools network adapter driver is enabled. should it be for host only networking?

(4)the MAC address in parallels is different than the ethernet ID shown in the parallels host-guest adapter on the mac - should it match this, or should it match the ethernet ID of my mac's ethernet card, or does it matter?

I need internet connectivity within parallels in order for it to be of any use for me, and I was very happy with it on the other imac. I haven't tried completely deinstalling parallels and starting from scratch with a new xp installation (cuz xp takes so long to bring up to date) but if that's what it takes I'll do that. in xp all I'm getting looking in ipconfig.exe is the autoconfig ip address.

Thanks a lot to anyone who has any suggestions. I've searched the forums for migration for so far no luck.

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

My thinking is that if you can afford to upgrade such a new iMac, $60 for a firewall router shouldn't be a big deal, and it will give you DHCP and a hardware firewall, both of which I'd find highly desirable. Then you could use bridged Ethernet which should work fine.

FWIW, I wouldn't run broadband without a firewall router, but I'm one of those paranoid security guys.

Oh and one more thought: The migration assistant migrates some stuff but not everything. None of my non-user-specific stuff (such as MySQL, etc.) got moved. I had a lot of hand work to do after "migration".

Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  3. michaelant

michaelant Junior Member

yeah, that's a good point, my upgrade to this imac was fairly serendipitous, friend bought my old one (not that old at all) for very good price and I got the C2D that had the video card vram upgrade option so I could attempt to play Elder Scrolls Oblivion via boot camp. the first intel imac was a rush job because the mac mini I had got zapped by lightning, and I didn't know that I'd want the vram upgrade option. but anyway, I usually go at least 3 years between machines, most times more.

I haven't done the router bit because I fear it may introduce problems to my cherished underground p2p app, and I haven't had a need for a router. Parallels worked fine always with the other imac doing host only networking with internet sharing with my cable modem with no router, so I didn't have any reason to think it wouldn't work with this new model.

what I will try first before potentially introducing more (unrelated) problems with a router will be to completely deinstall parallels and start over with a fresh xp installation. will take time to get windows up to speed of course, but I don't have so much on that disk image that I'll need to redo.

hopefully the parallels uninstall tool will really get rid of everything, including the host-guest adapter, but I'll do a search for anything named para*, visible and invisible, after rebooting after the uninstall, and I'll get rid of the xp disk image and config file in my library.

4. joem

joem Forum Maven

Any firewall router you get today will have port forwarding, which will allow your p2p app to work.

Parallels uninstall does not remove everything. It leaves your VM(s) alone, and leaves your license file alone. This preserves your license status and your VM locations and settings.

It removes the kernel extensions, the startup stuff, and the app itself.

A resinstall without uninstall should be enough.

5. michaelant

michaelant Junior Member

yeah, I did a reinstall with initial troubleshooting, and just did another reinstall with a reboot for the heck of it. and I believe I need to use 1922 since I'm on a C2D machine. so, I did buy Parallels, and I'm going to do a complete start over from scratch with new VM and V hdd and if that doesn't work then hopefully their tech support will have an answer. if not, then apparently something is still wrong with 1922 on imac C2D's and my case will help them smash some bugs.

I'll report back here with the result, just in case someone else is having a similar problem.

6. michaelant

michaelant Junior Member

well, complete deinstall, getting rid of preference files and virtual drives and anything called parallels except for the 1922 installer didn't do the trick. just seems that parallels dhcp isn't working for the host-guest adapter. I tried configuring ip manually but no go, tried some guesses on what the default gateway might be, nope.

I assume that if this were to work, my mac network status would show the host-guest adapter as having an ip address. doesn't. renewing dhcp lease no go.

I guess it's no parallels for me. I've done the Report a Problem. time to wait.

bummer.

7. joem

joem Forum Maven

Check in Activity Monitor that prl_dhcpd is running, and check that the Parallels ethernet adapter has an IP. Then in the guest, check that the guest has an IP on the same segment, and try to ping the Mac. Can it talk?

8. michaelant

michaelant Junior Member

thanks for the suggestions. prl_dhcpd is running, but no IP for the parallels ethernet adapter. I get the "cable is connected, but your computer does not have an IP address", so this is likely the problem.

tried giving the host-guest adapter an IP manually, and also the guest manually an IP one # higher. I can ping the parallels ethernet adapter, but not ping my guess for the router and default gateway. and I don't know what to put for dns servers. I don't really know what I'm doing, just trying things.

so, apparently although prl_dhcpd is running, it isn't working...?