Backslash on a Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by bazcurtis, Oct 2, 2006.

1. bazcurtis

bazcurtis Junior Member

Hi,

I have Parallels 1922 working great on my Mac Pro, but I have no backslash. I looked at the keyboard remapper that I had installed for my MacBook Pro, but I can't see a back slash to remap. How do I get a back slash?

Any help most welcome.

Best wishes

Michael

2. Joe Bloggs

Joe Bloggs Member

The backslash is where it is on a PC keyboard (i.e. left of the z), same as the "@" is right of the semicolon.

Don't know how to remap it ... it's always been something I've lived with when using Windows via RDC.

3. Joe Bloggs

Joe Bloggs Member

4. Joe Bloggs

Joe Bloggs Member

5. bazcurtis

bazcurtis Junior Member

I used to use the key to the left of the z, but on my mac keyboard that is a shift key. I will have to hunt for another keyboard.

Cheers

Michael

6. Joe Bloggs

Joe Bloggs Member

Hi Michael,

Which mac keyboard do you have ?

On mine (a white Apple one, not bluetooth) it goes :

Shift --> ~` --> z

The SharpKeys tool at http://www.randyrants.com/sharpkeys/ might be of interest.

7. Joe Bloggs

Joe Bloggs Member

Sorry, you're on MacBook Pro !

Have you tried the right alt key ?

8. Joe Bloggs

Joe Bloggs Member

9. bazcurtis

bazcurtis Junior Member

I went and found another keyboard. I am not sure what it came with. I can only guess an iMac or a G5. It is white and looks almost the same as a Mac Pro keyboard. The shift key is just bigger and takes the ~` key away. Odd. Just swapped it in the end :)

I will try the right alt next time as well.

10. rhind

rhind Member

Please include these layouts with Parallels Tools

So why don't Parallels add these layouts to the Parallels tools installer. For me, the MacBook layout works nearly perfectly on my MBP C2D, apart from the key to the left of Z (`/~) and the key to the left of 1 (§/±) are swapped around.

Please can Parallels ask the author if these can be included. There are many users in Europe and the rest of the world that would benefit greatly if Parallels tools would include international keyboard layouts and either auto-detect which to install when installing the tools, or prompt the user to select one or more keyboard layouts to use.

I have been using Parallels for a couple of months now, and have lived with having to switch layouts to use £/# and have only just found these layouts. Judging from these groups, I'm certainly not the only one either.

Cheers

Russell

11. flummi

flummi Junior Member

I am from Germany and I would also appreciate a better keyboard mapping:
    One example is the backslash: if I want to write a backslash in OSX, I type ALT-SHIFT-7 (german keyboard). In WinXP with Parallels and Parallel Tools installed I type CTRL-ALT-? (as I just found out). Both combinations are not marked on the keyboard (!!), which I blame Apple for. But at least it would be nice to have the same combination in both OSX and WinXP with Parallels.

Tested with: MBP C2D, OSX10.4.8, Parallels Build 3150 RC2, WinXP with Parallel Tools installed.

Keep on the good work, Parallels - your product is still amazing!