Full screen mode on dual display Mac Pros

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Joe Bloggs, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Joe Bloggs

Joe Bloggs Member

Hi,

Are you aware of the issues with dual displays on the Mac Pro ?

Whilst you can switch into full screen mode, there are a few issues :

(1) It only switches on one monitor (although it woudn't be a bad thing to have that as an option ... i.e. mac on one screen, virtual machine on another).

(2) Resolution issues (even on 19" inch screen)

(3) Crtl+alt does not switch back, you need to go back to "view" menu and select "full screen"

Other than that, well done on getting rid of the kernel panics ... looking good so far on the evaluation.

2. Victor

Victor Member

Personally I like the full screen on one monitor. Thats how I use it.

No resolution problems here. What are you trying to use/do?

I also find the switch back out of full screen is a pain.

3. Joe Bloggs

Joe Bloggs Member

Victor,

Indeed, you're right, I've played around and got it going in one screen ... well almost .... when you logout, you get black bars top and bottom.

4. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

This is not a MacPro specific issue: it does the same thing on Macbooks also.

I think the poblem is that Parallels only supports one monitor. When it's a window then the window may be across two monitors (as it is exactly one window), but when you do fullscreen it would have to know about both monitors to work.

EDIT: What I mean is that fullscreen is fullscreen across a single monitor, not across N monitors where N is the number of monitors you have.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  5. Mike Carlson

Mike Carlson Bit poster

dual screens

I haven't noticed any issues with dual screen. My setup: Macbook with 19" monitor @ 1600x1200 running XP Pro in Parallels.
    If I put the Parallels window on the 19" and select full-screen it resets the resolution to the full screen. The Macbook screen is untouched (nice as I can have some apps over there for quick ref.)
    If I put the Parallels window on the Macbook screen, selecting full screen fills that screen correctly.

Switching out of full screen is a simple Alt-Enter.

6. iammattu

iammattu Junior Member

Dual screen - no problems

Running Mac Pro with 2 256 NVidia cards and 2 24" Dell monitors.
    I open up parallels on the right monitor - and then run it (windows xp).
    Then i select full screen mode ...
    Left monitor then has the mac os working area and the right has windows.
    note: i can still run mac apps on the right screen (over top of the windows screen)
    Alt+Enter gets me out of full screen no problem
    (if i turn off widows while in full screen mode though it plays with both monitors - but comes around eventually).