no boot device

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by max_y, Sep 16, 2006.

1. kenduit

kenduit Member

Not Yet

I tried a few of the fixes mentioned here but no luck.

2. max_y

max_y Member

not yet

ive already tried two different disks...sp1 and sp2...i'm still waiting for new suggestions...

3. Ynot

Ynot Pro

1. You can try press Reset button on Parallels toolbar when you see that message. Suggestion: disk is not spinned up when guest BIOS tried to access it, so it can't "see" disk. Do not press "Enter", press "Reset" on toolbar!!

2. You can try make ISO image with Mac disk image utility. If it competed without errors Parallels should boot from it, if in same configuration it boots from other (Knoppix for example) ISO image.

4. patzari

patzari Bit poster

problem solved...

I actually solved the problem with another WinXP build. I got a nother WinXP SP1 CD from our department and everything worked out fine. I had the same loop problem as you magrit, but I solved it this way:
    1.)Installed XP with CD-ROM boot device first (ne VM with default settings, except boot order).
    2.)At the end of the installation the software tells you that it will reboot in 15 second. During this 15 seconds, you have to right click the small CD icon in the right corner of the parallels window and choose disconnect. press Enter.
    I tried to stop VM, change boot sequence to hdd first but this did not work. However, it worked like
    I described above. You may wanna try this out and report back to the forum if this only worked for me or if this suggestion solved your problem, too.

Summarizing:
    1) Change from WinXP SP2 to a BOOTABLE WinXP SP1 works. Frankly, I am not that sure that the other one a bootable CD
    2.)Endless loop of install stopped by manually disconnecting CD-ROM before restart of the installation.

Hope to have helped margrite and any other.:)
    And I want to thank everyone for the lively discussion, hope you all solve the problem.

5. magrite

magrite Junior Member

Quick question: are you partitioning to NTFS or
    FAT?

6. patzari

patzari Bit poster

NTFS, I use the default choice of WinXP during the installation.

7. magrite

magrite Junior Member

Many thanks to Patzari -- I got it to work. Unfortunately, I'm not exactly sure how because after a week of this I decided to do a "hail" Mary and changed a couple of variables at the same time.

OVERVIEW:
    I upgraded Parallels to build 1898 Release candidate.
    I used an .iso of Windows XP SP2 made on a computer other than my new Macbook Pro.
    I made a new VM, using all the defaults except for the boot order (per Patzari's advice)
    I went through the Windows installation and used FAT32 (I had been using NTSF, both quick and normal before -- don't know if this change was why it worked or if I could have continued using NTSF).
    I pushed "enter" after disconnecting the cd image (I had been disconnecting the image and letting the system reboot automatically -- patzari suggested this change).

8. kenduit

kenduit Member

Hi,
    Thanks ! I would like to try the fix but could use step by step instructions with a screen shot on how to do it.Such as how to make iso of windows xp sp2 on a dell computer?The more details the better.
    Thanks Ken

9. magrite

magrite Junior Member

I believe there are several very good step by step instructions on how to make an .iso of windows xp that you can find through a search engine. One keyword is "slipstream," since pc people seem to want to do this not to face the 58 upgrades that you get the first time you shut down windows after installation.

10. kenduit

kenduit Member

Some Progress then Stops Dead

Hi Made an image copy of my older winxp2 wsp2 this is upgrade version not full but it booted then stops dead on licensing page see pic. Any suggedtions why??? Thanks Ken

Attached Files:

11. kenduit

kenduit Member

Please Help

Stuck on this page It says press enter or f8 to agree nothing happens.If I press f8 I get a shadow of what I think is an ipod outline???
    What am i doing wrong did everyone have success? Thanks Ken

12. palter

palter Hunter

I presume you're using a MacBook or MacBook Pro. On a notebook, by default, the function keys perform local actions (e.g., changing screen brightness, volume, keyboard backlighting). To use a function key as a function key in a program, you must press and hold the "fn" key (lower left corner) and then press the function key. So, to type F8, you need to type fn and F8.

You can disable this behavior in the System Preferences.

13. kenduit

kenduit Member

Some progress ...More error messages

started set up then error message Ist pic shows loading then next message comes on for a few seconds took several times to capture it the switckes to last pic and vm power shuts down Please Advise Thanks Ken

Attached Files:

14. max_y

max_y Member

I'm still not getting beyond the no boot error...i dont have access to multiple versions of old or new windows disk...i already tried the two i had. has anyone tried the new RC release to see if that made a difference?

15. kenduit

kenduit Member

Tried New RC Release Same Problem

Hi
    I get the same message as in screen shot pic 27 in previous post.

Also can not make a .iso image of winxp_sp2 that will work . Any help would be apreciated. Thanks Ken

16. max_y

max_y Member

ok, my problem is fixed, i happened to be at a friends who had an xp disk...that worked...it would be really helpful if parallels could help people figure out why some disks work and some disks dont...all 3 of my disks work on a pc...

17. sangre

sangre Bit poster

18. joem

joem Forum Maven

mac doesn't mean anything.

Mac is short for Macintosh.

MAC is Media Access Control.

Confusing isn't it? Have you learned anything useful from this?

19. kd4

kd4 Bit poster

Same problem on MacBook, I am ready to throw in the towel!

20. kd4

kd4 Bit poster

Wow, I just got my MacBook 2 days ago and have had trouble installing Parallels too! I even reinsalled OSX like you did to no avail. And like you I am so behind in my work that I might need to get rid of my Mac too. I am so frustrated. How many of us can have "corrrupted files" and "no booting device"? Does Parallels ever call or email anyone back???