xp STILL will not install

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by astrogamera, Jul 23, 2006.

1. astrogamera

astrogamera Bit poster

My xp pro would not install using the cd so I created an .iso file and tried it that way. I am still getting the .dll error message. Anyone else have a similar problem. I tried .iso from the .iso cd that I burned using disk utility and also from the actuall .iso file on my macbook hard drive.

I would think that xp would just install. I am not using a slipstreamed cd by the way.

2. rinconj

rinconj Member

maybe your installation cd is bad and the files are corrupted on the CD and it doesn't help to generate an ISO image from the bad CD.

3. ajay

ajay Hunter

I too think you may have a corrupted file on your disc which was transferred to the ISO image you made of that disc. I'm no software expert by any means but I believe .dll files are important to the operation and installation of Windows.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I believe you need to obtain a new (better) intallation CD and/or an ISO image of one known to be good.

Let us know how it all works out for you.

:(

4. extensivegroup

extensivegroup Member

Because my Macbook was/is scratching disks, I had to create a disk image on another Mac -- my desktop G4. I then created a .iso file from this and burned a clean "backup" copy of the disk. Then, I launched the Parallels Image Tool and created the .iso from that.

Before this, nothing -- I realized almost too late that every CD I put into my Macbook is being scratched. It's still an issue, but I am able to install from a clean copy and the Image Tool.

Good luck!

5. kd4

kd4 Bit poster

I am having the same problem and getting a message that my files are corrupted. Do you know if I have to return the Parallels software to Parallels or can I take it to the Mac store that I bought it from? I need new one right away for work, any suggestions? Never been on this sight so I am not sure of protocol of asking this question here. If you can be of any help it would be greatly appreciated.

6. Joe Bloggs

Joe Bloggs Member

I think you will find that Microsoft anti-piracy measures will prevent unauthorised duplication or imaging of their "retail" CD-ROMs. This may or may not be the case for their "corporate" media as well.

Did your original XP media come from a legitimate source ? If it's a genuinely legitimate copy, then you should not have a problem getting a replacement for the faulty CD from Microsoft. Faulty CDs happen ... just like a fault in any other manufacturing process.

7. kd4

kd4 Bit poster

yes bought it from Office Max. So I should call Microsoft and tell them I have a faulty CD? If I can't fix this problem I certainly will contact them. Thanks

8. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

You might also be able to take it back to Office Max and tell them you have a bad disc. They may be able to swap it out for another one. They probably won't be able to give you a refund on opened software, but they can probably exchange it for another of the same product.

As for making an image of the disc, there are a few programs that run on most OSs (Windows, Mac, Linux, BSD...) that have no problems making a perfect image of retail Windows discs, but those won't help you if the disc is corrupted.

9. Joe Bloggs

Joe Bloggs Member

The following process is for Microsoft Office, but I imagine it is the same for XP.

Go to the KnowledgeBase website (http://support.microsoft.com/) and look up article 302822 (or the older Q302822 version).

Title of the article is "How to order a replacement CD for Microsoft Office"

Good luck !

10. Joe Bloggs

Joe Bloggs Member

You might also want to try article 326246 "How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware"