Parallels, Mac, & Windows Drama; "Corrupted File"?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by kd4, Oct 2, 2006.

1. kd4

kd4 Bit poster

This weekend I bought my MacBook, Parallels and Windows. I keep getting a message that says "no booting device available" and "The file acpi.sys is corrupted".

Also, when instaling Windows after I go in the Resources and make sure things are checked off etc. I am suppose to choose "Defaut CD/DVD-ROM" from the Devices Menu but it is greyed out (can't choose the option). Can anyone help I am really desperate, thinking about returning everything and getting a pc because I need Windows for work. I am a long time Mac user and really don't want to throw in the towel but I am not able to work. Please help.

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

How much RAM installed?
    How much RAM assigned to Parallels?
    How much RAM assigned to the VM?
    Which Windows version?
    Did you set the Windows type in the VM?
    What happened in between those messages?

3. kd4

kd4 Bit poster

...................Everything appeared to go OK, until I was asked to install windows. In the Resources I clicked CD/DVD-ROM 1...........in Configuration Editor I selected CD/DVD-ROM and verified that Enabled and Connect at startup were selected. Then I selected Use CD.DVD-ROM Drive ans specified the drive (there was only one choice to choose from)..........I cliecked OK and Save. Here is were my first problem arose.

It asked me to choose Default CD/DVD-ROM from the Devices menu. This wasn't possible, it was grey and unselectable. I inserted my Windows XP, turned Power On and got the setup menu that said "acpi.sys is corrupted press any key to cotiune". I can't pres any key, it won't allow me I just have to turn power off.

Thanks for your response, I really appreciate the help.

4. Paul Linden

Paul Linden Member

Can you use Disk Utility to make an iso image of the disk and try using that instead to install? If not, it's probably an unreadable disk. It can happen sometimes.

• Put the XP disk in
    • Open Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.
    • Select the CD drive from the list on the left (it'll be the one with the CD/DVD icon).
    • From the menu at the top File/New/Disk image from diskX - where X is a number corresponding to the CD-ROM - it'll be at the bottom of the list.
    • Set the name in the Save As dialog, "DVD/CD master" in the image format option.

This will create a .cdr file, but it can be renamed to .iso without any problems.

If this is successful, you can mount the iso when installing. And it's faster to install since you'll be reading from the HD, not the DVD drive.

5. joem

joem Forum Maven

Making an image of the CD is good advice. In addition, you have too much memory assigned to the VM. I would suggest about 275 meg for Parallels (in preferences; reserve memory limit) and 256 meg for the VM. Leaving less than half a gig for OSX will give you a very slow machine.

6. kd4

kd4 Bit poster

This wasn't sucessful, I believe I have a corrupted disk. I am on the phone with Microsaft no (or should I sat, on hold) to try and find out how to return the software.