Uninstall and Re-install instructions

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dzins, Apr 13, 2006.

1. dzins

dzins Member

I would like to totally uninstall and re-install beta 3 to see if this en0 kernel panic problem goes away. :(

Is there a way to uninstall (I don't want to lose my XP disk image, just cleanly uninstall everything and re-install)?

In beta 3 it appears to put the kext in /System/Library/Extension.

Thanks

2. brettw

brettw Member

besides the stuff in the extensions dir it adds /dev/hypervisor so I'd say get rid of it too ...

3. constant

constant Forum Maven

dzins,

The Parallels code and the disk image are two seperate things. It's one of the many things I really like about Parallels. You can do whatever you want with the code and as soon as you have it back in place, just say use "this" image, and away it goes.

With a dual layer DVD burner and disk you can take a system backup with OS and programs installed up to 9Gb by just burning a copy of your disk image. Then do incremental data backups on CD/DVD. Then your safe to weather any storm. Probably.

4. dzins

dzins Member

It would really be nice to have an official "here's how you uninstall the software"

I like it a lot and I already bought it, but I have really nothing installed on the Mac side and I am thinking if I did a clean install, it might work.

I saw in one thread how to uninstall beta 2, I will look at that (other than deleting my xp disk image).

5. dzins

dzins Member

Well, I manually removed everything, restarted, re-installed, restarted again just for the fun of it, but no dice, if I choose en0, it panics on starting windows.

Something I did notice is that in the winxp.pvs file, in the Network section, is that in beta 2 if you check the WiFi option, it has an entry that looks like WiFi=1 and if you uncheck it, it looks like WiFi=0, in beta 3 this WiFi entry is gone.

Strangely enough in beta 2 en0 and en1 work fine for me, but in beta 3 en0 causes a kernel panic

6. dzins

dzins Member

Just to note MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz 1 GB RAM
    VM running Windows XP Pro SP2 with SQL Server 2k SP4, VS 2003 Enterprise, Office 2003

In beta 3 the only problem I have is that en0 causes a panic, en1 works fine, but I am at several offices and not all have a wireless network. What I can do is install beta 2 and en0 works, but the non-repeating keys in beta 2 is very annoying.

A suggestion I have is that Control-Click should be user configurable to mean either a right-click or multiple selection (ie standard behavior on Windows), maybe allow the user to choose which key they want to mean right-click.