VT-X Error on MacPro fixed or not?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by amorph, Oct 1, 2006.

1. amorph

amorph Bit poster

Hi ,

this might be a stupid question but: is the vt-x issue on the mac pro fixed or not? i know that it is an issue with apple but i still get the vt-x errormessage even after updating my mac pro with the latest firmware. i also did a uninstall and reinstall of parallels - no difference.
    so is that vt-x problem officially fixed on the mac pro with the latest firmware ?

regards and thanks.
    amorph

2. sydbarrett74

sydbarrett74 Member

Nope!

I am using the latest build (1922) and have done just as you have, and it's still not fixed.

3. El-Pro

El-Pro Bit poster

No!

Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Ghz: VT-X error is still there :(

4. mvk

mvk Member

Not fixed.

Not fixed ony my machine! Still have to sleep the comptuer first.

5. jeffsure

jeffsure Junior Member

It does seem to be fixed on my Mac Pro.

For the last few updates (since 1918, I think), I uninstalled PD (with the provided uninstaller), rebooted, installed the PD update, and rebooted again. In XP, I uninstalled Tools, then reinstalled updated Tools.

VT-x is enabled every time.

6. mvk

mvk Member

Need to Uninstall then reinstall Tools

These forums are geat! As posted earlier, I uninstalled, reinstalled PD without any success in avoiding the VT-x error. I was reusing a VM from earlier versions. BUT - I only reinstalled Tools without uninstalling Tools first from Add/Remove programs and rebootting.

Once I uninstalled Tools, rebooted the VM, shut down the VM from the Start menu, then quit PD and rebooted my Mac, I did not get the VT-x error when I restarted the VM! Manually uninstalling Tools was the key.

7. jeffsure

jeffsure Junior Member

Well, I just had to force a reboot in OS X, and when I was up and running again, I opened PD and got the VT-x not enabled message. :(

Update: I just did a warm-boot (Restart) and upon opening PD again, I didn't get the VT-x message, and VT-x is enabled.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  8. demenas

demenas Junior Member

It is still not fixed here either. And for some reason I have a feeling they will release a final version without fixing this. :mad:

Steve

9. kshusker

kshusker Member

Well, to be fair, it is Apple's bug, not Parallels'.

10. pastrychef

pastrychef Member

It seems to be fixed for me...

11. sydbarrett74

sydbarrett74 Member

It'll be fixed until you download the latest point release of 10.4 -- then the update will lock the firmware once again.

12. pastrychef

pastrychef Member

I've done all the software updates.

13. El-Pro

El-Pro Bit poster

VT-x error still here :(
    (Mac Pro 2.66 + mac os x 10.4.8)

14. mvk

mvk Member

unisntall/reinstall tools.

Have any of the remaining people with persistent VT-x errors manually un-installed Tools from within WIndows, then reinstaled Tools? Just installing the 1922 version of Tools over the old one does not work. Try if if you still have the error. It worked for me.

15. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Hello All,

VT-x problem on Mac Pro is not Parallels issue - it is Apple issue. Apple firmware is randomly set VT-x related bits during firmware boot and it could randomly disable and lock VT-x state as off.

We have opened issue in Apple bugtracker and pushing Apple to fix it. I hope they will fix this in one of their firmware updates.

As a workaround you can use Mac Pro sleep/wake trick after each reboot of Mac OS X.

16. El-Pro

El-Pro Bit poster

thank you Andrew.
    But... why they did not get the VT-x error? (if the firmware isn't changed)

:confused:

17. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Didn't get it. Who you mean they?

18. jeffsure

jeffsure Junior Member

Maybe he means me, for one. I get the error when I start up from off, but not when I restart while running.

19. mvk

mvk Member

I have a Mac Pro - and no longer get the VT-x error, depsite multiple reboots, etc. I used to get it every time until 1922 and uninstalling/reinstalling PD Tools.

20. kshusker

kshusker Member

So Andrew, do you think it would be useful for those of us with Apple Developer accounts to make our own bug reports to Apple about this issue -- maybe if enough people report this it will get pushed higher in Apple's priority list, especially since it seems like such a simple fix for them (at least from an outsider's perspective)