Running Parallels and Bootcamp on same physical machine

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mean samwily, Sep 26, 2006.

1. mean samwily

mean samwily Bit poster

Can anyone see any concerns with this? I'd assume it would be fine

2. constant

constant Forum Maven

It will be fine.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  3. BlueSkyISdotCOM

BlueSkyISdotCOM Member

No problem.

4. gjlazar

gjlazar Member

Bootcamp and Parallels

Does it take a second install of Windows XP and another WIndows XP Purchase? Would be nice if boot camp could find the XP Installation somehow, or vice versa.

5. flinflon

flinflon Bit poster

No it does take two separate installs from what I understand

No, you have to install it for both Boot Camp and Parallels from what I understand.

6. cajetanus

cajetanus Junior Member

I am using BootCamp (triple boot) and have Parallel images of FreeBSD, Ubuntu and Windows XP for the Virtual Machine. Works perfectly, though you must be aware that the images are truly like different harddrives - they are not different partitions on your machine, just big disk images (which look like big files in the Finder).

You need to install Windows XP once in bootcamp, and once for the Virtual Machine. You would also need two licenses thus for Windows XP.

What would be really nice would be if Parallels would recognize partitions and be able to boot off of them in emulation. That would be truly the best of both world and both situations - not to mention having only to install Windows once :) (which is already one time too many...)

7. constant

constant Forum Maven

Well, the next full release, 3.0, was due around the end of the year. However, it is now being reported by Parallel's people to be arriving Q1 2007. I would expect that physical partitions will be available in that release. Having said that, it is one of the most requested features and may show up in a minor release before then. Having said that, there are other, more requested features which probably have a release priority.

Hopefully I've muddied the waters enough for you there. ;-)

8. cajetanus

cajetanus Junior Member

If and when physical partitions would be available for running Parallels, they already have my money :) Heck I'll pay double the price for this feature alone.

Here is to staying hopeful.

-----
    UBUNTU in Parallels on Mac OS X - life doesn't get any better than this.

9. aclaver

aclaver Member

I run Parallels and Boot Camp on same system - works perfectly (with 2 Windows licenses of course).

I'm not sure how valuable physical volume support would be with respect to running 1 copy of Windows in both. Remember the virtual environment in Parallels is completely different than thereal environment in Boot Camp (different video cards, etc). Windows couldn't run in both places at the same time - it would need to be validated for each switch as Windows sees the different devices.

What would be useful is that you could have data and applications shared between Parallels and Bootcamp with a dedicated physical volume. You would still need to run Windows separately.

For those folks that use VMWare, you know what I mean. Even though you can access a physical volume in a virtual machine, you still need to run Windows from the virtual volume. The advantage is speed (the virtual Windows can access the physical volume at full speed) as well as data sharing.

10. Paul Linden

Paul Linden Member

People have reported success with getting MS to activate with the same license key for Boot Camp and Parallels installs, because you can't use XP in both at the same time. I haven't done this, but it wouldn't do any harm to phone and ask.

However, you still have to install XP twice.

11. BlueSkyISdotCOM

BlueSkyISdotCOM Member

You're allowed to install Windows more than once on the same physical machine. If you get a "too many activations" error, you can call Microsoft, tell them that you're installing on the same computer, and they'll give you a working activation key.

12. mcg

mcg Hunter

Actually, no, that's what would be called a "cheat". Microsoft's policy is very clear about this kind of thing, and a boot camp install plus a Parallels install requires two licenses of Windows XP. Windows Vista Enterprise and Ultimate will allow this kind of install with a single license though.

Obviously, it is technically possible to do what you're saying, and the folks on the other end of the activation line might give you a pass (though that may be because they either 1) don't understand what you're actually doing or 2) don't understand the license issues). But let us not unintentionally deceive people here---the practice is not within the bounds of the XP license agreement.

More info here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/mikekol/archive/2006/07/12/662511.aspx

Check the comments for the XP clarification.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  13. gjlazar

gjlazar Member

XP License for Boot Camp and Parallels

I wonder if what you say is true. The Windows XP liicense is for a single machine and processor chip. Boot camp and parallels cannot be run at the same time under any circumstances and there is only one computer. Can you show me in a quote from the MS License agreement where you have to conclude it is necessary to buy a second copy to install XP twice on one computer not a blog full of speculations!! I couldn't see it but I will look again!

14. dan

dan Member

In the Win XP EULA, paragraph 1.1.1, it says:

1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access,
    display and run one copy of the Software on a single
    computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other
    device ("Workstation Computer"). The Software may not
    be used by more than two (2) processors at any one
    time on any single Workstation Computer.

It's pretty clear that Microsoft does not want you to install more than one copy on a 'workstation computer'. So...to hell with what Microsoft wants.

15. joem

joem Forum Maven

I dunno, it's pretty clear to me that the Parallels -- bootcamp situation didn't exist when that was written, so there's no way they could cover it. If only one copy is running, I very much doubt a court would find you in violation, but of course it's pretty unlikely to ever get that far.

16. michaelant

michaelant Junior Member

I have XP running in Boot Camp and in Parallels, on a single license. I did the Camp install first, and then when going to activate in Parallels, the MS rep on the phone asked me if my 2nd XP installation was on the same machine as the first, which it was of course, and they had no further questions, activated XP in Parallels for me. Rep didn't sound the least bit suspicious, sounded like it was part of the script that XP could be installed more than once on the same machine. I hardly had to say anything.

17. Paul Linden

Paul Linden Member

Well, whether or not you are strictly meant to have two licenses, it is true that MS reps, in full knowledge of what customers were doing, have allowed more than one activation on the same license. I doubt that anyone has anything to feel guilty about and no one should feel they have to throw more money at Microsoft.

18. bfrancis

bfrancis Bit poster

The Software may not
    be used by more than two (2) processors at any one
    time on any single Workstation Computer.

Wouldn't that be exactly the situation running boot camp and parallels. You can't do both at the same time and you are not using more than 2 processors