USB Empty??

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by euclidw@mac.com, Oct 4, 2006.

1. euclidw@mac.com

euclidw@mac.com Junior Member

I have a new MacBook and installed Parallels. When I first installed It seemed to work fine. Under the device menu or by pressing the USB controller icon I could see the standard USB devices (keyboard, mouse, camera, etc.). I plugged in a USB credit card reader and it was shown in the menu, but when I selected it I got the wait 5-10 seconds error that many other posts here mention. I decided to try again by shutting down the VM and restarting my mac and starting back up. Now under the device menu USB is "greyed out" and when I press the USB controller button (bottom right) it says empty! So the standard USB items are gone & I have no idea what to do. I've tried restarting a bunch of times, but it is still "empty" Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions? Thanks

2. euclidw@mac.com

OK I reinstalled OSX, then reinstalled Parallels and the empty problem has gone away, but now it says another process is using the USB device. This makes no sense. It is a magnetic card reader. OSX seems to think it is a USB keyboard. Every post on this 5-10 seconds issue seems to be related to cellular phones or PDAs. How can I fix this issue? Please help.

3. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

The only way to fix that problem for now is to manually remove the MacOS driver for the type of device that the Mac thinks your device is.

The problem with this is that your Mac thinks the device is a keyboard, so to make it work you would have to remove the keyboard driver. Then your Mac (and Parallels also) would no longer have a keyboard.

Most likely, your device won't work until Parallels has full USB passthrough support.

4. joem

joem Forum Maven

Have you turned on autoconnect for USB? If it's on, and the guest is running and you plug in the USB device, the guest may acquire it.

5. donnie

donnie Member

In my experience (with the usual Mac USB keyboard and mouse) AutoConnect will sometimes prevent other USB devices from connecting on the host side (Mac) but has never allowed other USB devices to connect on the guest side (Ubuntu Linux). I always get the 5-10 second message. So, I have to agree with unused_user_name on this one.

6. dsouth

dsouth Bit poster

Fixed my USB

I found that Parrallels was under the impression that I had a floppy, I don't, I deleted the floppy and now my USB works.

7. euclidw@mac.com

No joy

I tried automatic, but got no joy. I will try deleting the floppy to see if this helps. The good news is now my Mac realizes that it is a magnetic card reader. I don't want to play around with my .kext files. I tried that to get my Nokia phone to sync, but it didn't work, then when I went to put the files back my system got screwed up (had to reinstall OSX). Any idea when full USB pass through will work? The only reason I bought parallels was to use Quickbooks for windows and be able to accept credit cards for my business (the mac version of quickbooks can't do half the things the windows version can).

If I can't get this to work, this would have been a big waste of time:mad:

Thanks for your help!

8. donnie

donnie Member

I also deleted the floppy and it didn't help USB. Looks like bootcamp for you, euclidw.