Can't save files to shared folder from apps

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jrwilco1, May 7, 2006.

1. jrwilco1

jrwilco1 Bit poster

I noticed an odd problem when working in virtual XP on files that are stored on the Shared Folder. It seems that I cannot save files to the shared folder from applications. I can copy files over fine in explorer, but I cannot write anything in applications. I cannot even save files that I opened from the shared folder.

In word when I try and save file it gives me the error:
    "The save failed due to out of memory or disk space."

However Visio gives a different error:
    "An error (1587) occurred during the action Save. DOS Invalid Paremeter."

It does not appear to be a permissions problem. I can save, delete, etc., just fine from explorer. It just seems to only have problems saving from applications. Also, I should mention that I can save in "local" areas fine (i.e. the C: drive virtual disk).

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Thanks - we will check this.

3. BeetleBug

BeetleBug Bit poster

Any Update on this?

I have the same problem and it is really upsetting the wife. She needs to use publisher and cannot save in XP. Is there a work around? I have tried to save to shared folder as well as my documents. I need a fix asap.

4. skimmilk

skimmilk Bit poster

File Modified Date

Files written on the shared folder lose all their modified dates. This makes it a pain to use CVS or any other time-stamped file access application.

5. Rich White

Rich White Member

I have the same problem with shared folders and dates. I went back to using OS X Samba sharing for now.

from my other post:

6. jonoslack

jonoslack Bit poster

copying files from shared crashes xp

I've been trying to copy files from shared folders to the C:\ drive in xp, and xp simply disappears - and the virtual machine won't reload (it boots up and then shuts down), fortunately I had a copy!
    Anyone have ideas about this?
    kind regards
    jono slack

7. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Check this issue in RC2 please! Many Shared Folders issues is already fixed there.

8. skimmilk

skimmilk Bit poster

The modification date as far as I know is still there. i've uninstalled, then re-installed parallels tools and so forth but still the modification ates are stuck in 1969 which makes source control as well as cgywin VI act very poorly.

9. SteveS

SteveS Bit poster

I seem to have a problem with Word (which is about the only app I use in Parallels). I can save files for a while, but then I get a message that either the folder is write-protected or I don't have sufficient permissions. This is getting very irritating, as it's getting hard to keep up with which file is the most current. I've run compressor, and even reinstalled tools. If I reboot the VM, it works again, but then only for a while. I'll go to close up for the session, and then I have to mess around with not being able to access the folder on my shared drive. HELP.