Parallels Images ready to download!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by GFBurke, Sep 4, 2006.

1. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

You know that these are just pre-installed disk images of free operating systems?

You can just install them yourself. These images save a few hours of installing work, but they can be rebuilt by anyone.

Its much easier to find the Xubuntu or Ubuntu install ISO's on http.

2. Ainvar

Ainvar Member

Ok I am downloading the following torrents and will seed them for a week or two or three or four.

Xubuntu
    Ubuntu
    BackTrack

I got the upload set to about 20mbits so everyone should get good speeds once I get them seeded. Hope this helps everyone out.

3. extensivegroup

extensivegroup Member

Thanks very much for this. I have been busy over the past two weeks, but it seems like the install bug on Ubuntu 6.0.6 is now taken care of with the latest build of Parallels?

Can't wait to try these out and compare the installs.

4. GFBurke

GFBurke Member

Added #6.
    PClinuxOS

5. Ainvar

Ainvar Member

I will seed the others starting on Monday so it will be easier for everyone to get these images a little faster.

Let me know if this is helping everyone or not.

I want to make sure the fine work GFBurke is doing is able to get out to everyone a bit quicker.

6. waterhead37

waterhead37 Member

Burke,
    Many thanks. I have just started playing with Ubuntu on my 17 inch MBP - works fine.

I should be grateful if you could tell me how I can increase the screen size if possible. I have a 30 inch cinema display and the 1280x800 looks kinda small! I have tried enabling a larger size in Parallels but Ubuntu still comes up in the same small size.

Thanks,
    Chris

7. GFBurke

GFBurke Member

Added #7
    Kanotix

8. manfredell

manfredell Hunter

I know downloaded the Fedora image 3 times. All downloads went OK. But I could not unzip the files as the zip was corrupted.

9. timtr

timtr Bit poster

Ubuntu/Xubuntu boot failures

I downloaded both the Xubuntu and Ubuntu images posted here, and both refused to boot on my MacBook Pro 15". I am using the trian of Parallels so if there is an issue with that it could be my problem, but since this is the point of the trial (try to get it working) it would be good to track down the problem. :)

The Ubuntu boot screen loads up alright after I setup the HDD link etc and startup Parallels. It shows the logo graphic and the status of loading essential drivers, etc. It gets to the 5th or 6th boot status line, something like "Loading hardware drivers..." then it hangs.

After a while it goes back into text mode, and I see this:

* Reading files needed to boot...
    * Preparing restructed drivers...
    * Starting basic networking...
    * Starting kernel even manager...
    * Loading hardware drivers...
    udevd-event[2730]: run_program: '/sbin/modprobe' abnormal exit

* Starting PCMCIA services
    * PCMCIA not present
    * Loading manual drivers...
    [ 847.266307] eth0: Too much work at interrupt, status 0x01
    ... continues spitting these out every minture or so

I'm assuming there is a driver issue. This occured on both the images the same way (not really surprisingly.) I have all the latest firmware patches to my MacBook Pro 15" as well.

Thoughts?

10. GFBurke

GFBurke Member

As far as I know, you are the first to report trying to use these on a Macbook Pro 15in. Looks like the 17in works fine...

Try telling the Parallels to dissable the network card - see how that goes. You'd think the 15in and 17in would use the same NIC - but who knows.

11. timtr

timtr Bit poster

Still no dice

I tried both unchecking the "enabled" option under the network controller as well as leaving it enabled but telling the VM to enable networking for host mode only. Neither worked.

I still get an abnormal exit [failed] on /sbin/modprobe

Odd behavior....

12. plusbryan

plusbryan Bit poster

Fedora FC5 image problems

I just downloaded the FC5 on my macbook and it doesn't work. I'm having the same problems as the guy above - there is no yum, and no add/remove packages. I can't access a user control panel. Seems like a vital component to the system is missing. Is there any way to fix this, or should I look elsewhere? Thanks for going to the effort. I wished it had worked with FC5...

13. georgemoore13

georgemoore13 Junior Member

Will someone please seed the Ubuntu image.
    I am stuck at 95%

14. extensivegroup

extensivegroup Member

I'm trying to DL it now and will gladly seed it when (if???) I can. Hopefully I won't get stuck there either.

15. AlanH

AlanH Pro

I think I'm "the guy above".

I've now succeeded in installing a useful Fedora Core 5 VM. I found a torrent link for the original DVD distribution here. I suggest getting it from there as it's well seeded an easy to install. I use Azureus for downloading by the way.

During installation there's a check on the DVD image, and it failed. This seems to be a common issue with Fedora distis and Parallels. However, I pressed on regardless and successfully installed it. I only checked the Development and Server options and unchecked Office and Productivity. However, I have a Mac - why would I want desktop apps in Linux ?! I now have a FC5 VM, complete with Add/Remove Software and all the essentials for system admin.

16. petard

petard Bit poster

Is the FC5 torrent dead? BitTorrent just sits there with "0 seeds in 0 peers" forever. Though I don't use BT much, it is currently downloading the FC5 install CDs from the project's torrent at about 275 KiB/s so I'm sure it's working.

Edit: Could you maybe post links to exactly what tuning you've done and which patches you've applied to make this work well in Parallels?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2006
  17. AlanH

AlanH Pro

Dunno about the orginal poster, but I just installed it from the FC5 distribution DVD image at the above URL.

As I've said above, the image listed here didn't allow me to add software, so I ended up installing my own from the Fedora project torrent. I'm currently running Parallels Desktop RC2 build 1918, and did nothing special.

18. wangkom

wangkom Bit poster

Can someone please seed these?

I'm especially interested in Xubuntu but right now, it says it will take 23 days to download due to a lack of seeding.

Please seed if you have it.

Thanks!:D

19. davert

davert Member

FWIW I'm getting a consistent 32 kB/s download, 8 kB/s upload using DSL. Using extorrent.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  20. wangkom

wangkom Bit poster

I get the same thing on a macbook with the Xubuntu image.

Anyone know what the problem is? I'm not a linux person, so a detailed response would be nice.

Thanks!

Problem I'm having... but it seems to hang as well.

* Reading files needed to boot...
    * Preparing restructed drivers...
    * Starting basic networking...
    * Starting kernel even manager...
    * Loading hardware drivers...
    udevd-event[2730]: run_program: '/sbin/modprobe' abnormal exit

* Starting PCMCIA services
    * PCMCIA not present
    * Loading manual drivers...
    [ 847.266307] eth0: Too much work at interrupt, status 0x01
    ... continues spitting these out every minture or so