Keyboard and mouse not responding after Parallel Tools installation

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mediaparx, Oct 3, 2006.

1. mediaparx

mediaparx Bit poster

Since I installed Parallels Tools the keyboard and mouse ist not responding in my guest os...

With F5 we can call the safe mode startup from windows but right after that keyboard and mouse are gone again.

So there is no way to uninstall the Parallels Tools within Windows as we have no possibilty to use the keyboard or mouse. Even manual connection of the usb-devices did not help.

What can I do?

Thanks for any help

2. johntm1

johntm1 Bit poster

Just launch the install tools program again. This time it'll do an uninstall.

3. ghgh

ghgh Bit poster

same problem. As soon i've tried to install parallels tool, my mouse and keyboard are gone. I can't do nothing. Please help me, I don't want to reinstall xp another time. Tat's odd!!!

4. KarlC

KarlC Bit poster

This is similar to my problem. I thought it was because i ahd installed Spyware Doctor but I had also tried but failed to install parallels tools prior to that so have the same problem as you. Does the mouse pointer sit in the middle of the screen?

5. cperkins

cperkins Bit poster

same problem here

I too am having the same problem.

Now what? Do I have to delete this Windows machine and start over?

It's very pretty, but without mouse and keyboard, unusable. There is no option to uninstall. When I run try running the "Install Parallel Tools" again it just opens the installer and sits waiting for me to click on the "Next" button, which, of course, I cannot do, because I have no keyboard or mouse access.

If it helps debug the problem, I tried "Cancel the Parallel Tools Install' and that doesn't work, nor does sending "Ctrl-Alt-Del' do anything.

What should I do? Do I have to delete this and start over? If I do that, what are the assurances that it won't happen again?

Any word from the Parallel People? Why have none of them posted here when the first message on this topic was posted over a week ago?

Chris Perkins

Last edited: Oct 10, 2006
  6. cperkins

cperkins Bit poster

got it working after update and deleted VM

Though I just bought and downloaded Parallels today, I was given download link to build 1848.

I upgraded to 1922, and that did not fix it.

I deleted my previous virtual machine, set up a new one, re-installed Windows XP, then ran Parallel Tools, and this time it worked. I'm guessing that the upgrade to 1922 made the difference. Who knows?

Anyway, I'm glad I had only set up a minimal number of applications before.

Chris

7. ghgh

ghgh Bit poster

8. KarlC

KarlC Bit poster

I've got the latest version, I don't really want ot install XP again and all the otehr software that I installed. This seems to be a common issue why are the parallels people not responding. I have contacted them directly they told me to launch XP in safe mode and uninstall parallels tools and the spyware doctor software that I also installed at the time. Obviously I told them I couldn't do this as I had no keyboard and mouse. Their answer: You'll have to reinstall parallels and XP. Not good enough.

9. drumbo

drumbo Bit poster

I had a similar problem after installing the new build (however it affected my mouse in osx aswell). No mouse clicking worked in parallels and in OSX every mouse click emulated the right click - very odd. Anyway I cleared out the cache in both library directories and lo and behold both mice were back to normal. Now I am no mac expert and have no idea whether deleting the cache is a good or bad thing - but it certainly solved my problem (well my macbook pro's problem at least)

10. aqfaber

aqfaber Bit poster

Which caches are those, exactly? I just installed Parallels Tools, and now I can't log into Windows, as the mouse and keyboard are inactive. When I ctrl-alt to release the mouse, it works fine interacting with Parallels and with all OSX apps. Following this suggestion, I've looked through all Libraries/Caches folders and can't find anything relevant to Parallels. (I believe this is build 1848; checking for updates doesn't give me anything newer.)

11. joem

joem Forum Maven

Updating to build 1970 may be helpful.

12. aqfaber

aqfaber Bit poster

I tried that after I posted (somehow, in my frustration, I hadn't realized that 1970 was newer than 1948!). But the same problem persists. The keyboard and mouse still aren't available to the guest OS.

13. joem

joem Forum Maven

If you want to try clearing caches, google, download, and run Onyx, and use it to clear user and system caches, and reboot your Mac.