VT-x on Compaq Laptop

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by walts, Oct 5, 2006.

1. walts

walts Bit poster

I'm runnig Parallels Workstation on a Compaq nc8430 laptop under Windows XP Pro.
    When I start a guest OS, (Windows 2000 in this case) I get a message saying that my computer supports Intel Virtualization Technology (VT-x) but it is disabled, and I should turn it on in the BIOS. I have gone through the BIOS set-up program and there is nothing there about turning it on, and HP Tech support had no idea what I was talking about.

Can anybody help me with this?

Walt

2. constant

constant Forum Maven

What build number do you have installed?

3. walts

walts Bit poster

I have version 2.2 build 2072.

This doesn't seem to be an issue with Parallels, in that it is recognizing that the VT-x feature exists in the CPU, but rather a question of how to activate it. The dialog box from Parallels says to turn it on in the BIOS, but I can find nothing in the bootup BIOS configuration to do so. Possibly there is some external utility that will work?

TIA

Walt

4. Ensoniq

Ensoniq Bit poster

I was running Parallels 2.2 build 2050 on a Sony VAIO VGN-FE590P (Core Duo 1.83 GHz) ansd getting the same exact message. I upgraded to build 2072 right before posting here and it did the same thing with the same error. I'm simply told that I need to enable VT-x in my BIOS.

I called Sony earlier this evening to ask them for help, and I got the same response Walts did from HP. Basically, Sony support had no idea what I was talking about. Well actually...that is not true. They knew what VT-x was, but stated nothing in their BIOS lets me enable or disable it, which is true. Other than that, they suggested I speak with Parallels or Microsoft.

Is it really a BIOS issue if it's happning on two different brands of laptops? Or is it possible the error is itself related to Parallels? Does anyone on ANY brand of Core Duo laptop really have VT-x enabled? If so, please post your info here.

And if someone finds some sort of external utility that can either enable/disable VT-x support and/or confirm it exists, that would be cool to know. Walts and I would both appreciate it.

-- Ensoniq

5. constant

constant Forum Maven

Clutching at straws, he suggets doing a bios update. Having said that, there were problems with Desktop for Mac VT-x initialy. Then after a new build of Parallels it worked.

6. Ensoniq

Ensoniq Bit poster

I appreciate the suggestion, Constant. Contacted Sony and did upgrade the BIOS, but it did not help. There was no user-configurable option in the BIOS to turn VT-x on/off.

I need to just bite the bullet and go out and get an Intel Mac, but was waiting to see the next MacBook release with Merom before I decide between that and an iMac. :)

7. constant

constant Forum Maven

But you could install Linux on that Compaq. ;-)

8. pthomassen

pthomassen Bit poster

Sony Vaio and VT-x

Nuts... From Pieter on the Parallels Team. I have a SZ280P and this is what I found out from Sony. I have asked Sony to have a BIOS rep call me, lets hope they are responsive.

"Do Sony VAIO® computers support Virtualization Technology (VT)?"

"Sony VAIO® computers do not currently support Virtualization Technology (VT)."
    link
    http://www.iq.sony.com/srvs/autoresponse.asp?id=381809

9. Ryan Ware

Ryan Ware Bit poster

Although VT-x support is a processor feature and is independent of chipset/motherboard, it does need to be turned on. That is done in BIOS. If you don't see the option in your BIOS to turn VT on or off, you need to let the vendor of your system know that you would like a BIOS that actually supports all of the features of the processor you purchased with with your system.

10. evilbert420

evilbert420 Bit poster

compaq nc8430 bios update to enable virtualization extensions

For the nc8430 you need BIOS F.0F which is brand new. Then go into your BIOS and you'll find the option to enable virtualization. Switch it to enabled, then save your changes.

Once you've updated your BIOS, you need to COLD boot your machine (power off).

11. thriver

thriver Bit poster

Thanks for the post evilbert420. The COLD boot did it!

Confirmed what evilbert420 says.
    I also have an HP nc8430. It came with the F.0F BIOS and there is an option to enable VT -it's Virtualization Technolocy under System Configuration -> Devices Configuration. AND you have to COLD boot, otherwise the setting does not take affect.