Networking disappeared on Mac Pro after upgrading to 10.4.8

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by kshusker, Oct 6, 2006.

1. kshusker

kshusker Member

Parallels suddenly unable to get DHCP address or do any networking

I have build 1922 on a Mac Pro. Updated firmware and MacOS 10.4.8.

Everything was working fine, until suddenly tonight, networking just stopped working.

Now networking is gone from Parallels.

No matter which OS I run in Parallels, I can't get any networking to work. The symptom is the guest OS basically acts like there is no DHCP server, and ends up sel-fassigning an address.

I am using the default networking settings.

Restarting Parallels, and the Mac makes no difference. Switching VMs makes no difference (I've tried several)

I am stumped...anyone have any ideas?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  2. kshusker

kshusker Member

I did some more testing. Tried a backup HD with 10.4.7, made no difference. Downgraded Parallels to build 1910, still have the problem

The symtoms are that no guest OS can obtain a DHCP address.

This was working fine as recently as yesterday, and then just stopped working.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  3. kshusker

kshusker Member

FWIW, did some more troubleshooting. Removed every trace of Parallels (including the preference files, even the Kexts), rebooted, empied trash, rebooted, reinstalled Parallels, a complete clean fresh installation, and created a new VM....same problem, the VM is unable to get a DHCP address.

4. michaelant

michaelant Junior Member

I have a similar problem

http://forums.parallels.com/thread4731.html

I'm wondering if networking is having troubles generally in core 2 duo macs. mine is an imac 20 inch. I tried the same stuff - deleted all traces of parallels (except the kexts, that's beyond me at the moment but I could do with instructions) and the symptom that sticks out is the vm can't get a dhcp address. I did try assigning an IP manually but I don't know the router/gateway info so still doesn't work.

is prl_dhcpd running when you look in Activity Monitor?

I'm hoping there's a 1923 release that restores network connectivity for core 2 duo macs. really need the network for parallels to be of use for me.

one thing - shared folders is working, but that's probably not really related to network connectivity I bet, probably something proprietary by parallels

5. kshusker

kshusker Member

After three hours of troubleshooting, I found the problem -- the DHCP server on my router was down, Parallels VMs thus couldn't get an IP address.

The reason I didn't notice this earlier is that my Mac has a static IP address, and it was humming along just fine with full internet access. Given this, I didn't even think to try the router. It wasn't til I hooked up a second Mac that was set to get a DHCP address that I figured out the router's DHCP server was foobar.

Oh well, a nice waste of the evening.