Uninstalling Parallels

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Greg Burbidge, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Greg Burbidge

Greg Burbidge Bit poster

I've been cleaning some things off my computer, and I deleted paralles for the time being... BUT I didn't go in and do anything fancy to remove the partitions on the hard drive... do I need to do something like that to get rid of those partitions? From what I can remember, I had about 10 gigs in partitions but I didn't "unpartition" them. Is there a way to do that? Or were they automatically deleted when I deleted parallels? I hate to think that I accidentally left 10 gigs unusable on my hard drive.

gb

2. constant

constant Forum Maven

What is your host OS?

3. Greg Burbidge

Greg Burbidge Bit poster

mac os x.4

4. Thomas Harte

Thomas Harte Bit poster

Parallels shows its non-OS X origins a little with a slightly confusing array of files and folders for each guest OS, but it isn't too bad.

Go to your home directory. Unless you've changed things around, it should be in the list of folders on the left hand side of every Finder window. The icon is a house and the label is your username. If you've removed it, just go to /Users/<your username>.

From there, go to Library. That folder should contain a subfolder called "Parallels", where all your virtual hard drives, etc, are left. Right now mine is ~2.5gb. If you want to fully delete all the guest OSs you installed, just trash that.

Alternatively, do a spotlight search for "pvs", right click on any of the ones with the Parallels logo and select "Reveal in Finder". In the revealed Finder window you should see a file ending .pvs (which is the settings file used by Parallels) and at least one ending .hdd (each .hdd is a separate virtual hard drive). You can kill all those and their containing folders.

5. ggbusta

ggbusta Junior Member

uninstall

Hi Thomas.

Are you saying that the classic Windows XP Control Panel Remove Programs does not fully un-install Parallel Workstation? I am having problems installing Solaris so this may be the problem.

Thanks,

Jerry B.

6. ggbusta

ggbusta Junior Member

addendum to question

Thomas,

I know your answer to the above was in the context of Mac and but I am wondering if it applies to WIN XP as well.

Thanks again.

Jerry B.