No Sound on MacBook in Fedore Core 5

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dannyz, Aug 27, 2006.

1. dannyz

dannyz Bit poster

Just installed FC5 on my MacBook with Parallels and cannot get sound to work.

Under Soundcard Detection, the only option I have in Fedora is "Intel ICH Intel 82801BA-ICH2". I am not sure if that is the correct sound card for my MacBook, but when i test the sound, nothing plays through the speakers.

Help?

Attached Files:

2. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

Ok, i check my fedora 5 and I have the exact same driver and i hear sound.

could, by chance the VM Guest be set to mute under parallels devices

3. dannyz

dannyz Bit poster

well, i just installed KDE and sound works fine in a KDE session (though I still don't hear anything when I click "test sound", I can hear system sounds and even listen to mp3's using xmms. (which is also strange since in gnome-session, I got the typical warning about Fedora/Red Hat and MP3 Legal stuff. not sure why I can listen to mp3's in xmms through kde.. unless I inadvertantly installed something while installing KDE (through the add/remove programs in gnome).. :confused:

4. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

I'm not using Fedora, but I did notince something about sound in Mandriva...

The OSS drivers for sound do not work, while the ALSA ones for the same hardware do work. I believe Gnome installs use OSS for sound by default. KDE has started (very recently) using ALSA as the default.

You could try ALSA under Gnome if you still want to get that working...

5. davide

davide Member

Any more on this? I just installed Fedora Core 5 and get no sound. Ubuntu has sound 'out of the box'.

6. johnb

johnb Member

i had the same issue with fedore. you need to go to the control panel and turn the sound on. i think the default for some reason is to have the sound off. once you turn it on in fedora it works fine.

7. damidn_lock

damidn_lock Bit poster

hi

i found the OSS sound to work in Fedora Core 5.

if i use a programme to probe sound devices, or use alsa, the entire virtual machine crashes.

some more documentation on the recommended configuration for linux sound would be useful.

Last edited: May 1, 2007