Recognizing CDs

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by David Wise, Oct 8, 2006.

1. David Wise

David Wise Junior Member

Can the latest version of Parellels allow both the Mac and XP recognize a disc in the optical drive at the same time? Presently my Windows side is recognizing CDs in the Mac drive, but the Mac side isn't -- at least while XP is running!

(I'm running Parallels RC2 in an Intel IMac.)

2. David Wise

David Wise Junior Member

Bump.

So NOBODY has an answer for this one?

Repeat: Paralells RC2 on an Intel Imac: Mac side doesn't see cd in drive while VM (XP) is running. (XP does see it.) Turn off VM, and bingo -- suddenly the Mac OS sees the disc.

Is there any way both systems can see the disc at the same time?

3. auratus

auratus Member

Make it a share? Either share the drive from the mac to the windows side or vice-versa.

Not a Parallels solution really but maybe a decent workaround?

4. David Wise

David Wise Junior Member

That's a really smart idea. However, I tried it and unfortunately, it didn't work. Every time I start the Windows VM, the disc in the drive disappears off the Mac. When I shut down Windows, the Mac "sees" it again. Sigh...

5. auratus

auratus Member

Well, you could go into the VM config (under CD/DVD-ROM) and uncheck "Enabled" and "Connect at Startup" (done with the VM powered off) and then only access it on the windows side from the share from OS X. I haven't tried it but I think that would then always keep the drive accessible to OS X and never to the windows side except via the share so that should stop the two OSes from fighting over it. Let us know if that works.

6. David Wise

David Wise Junior Member

It worked! Thanks! The only thing I am unsure about is how to access he drive from the Windows side. Not sure what you meant by access it through the share.