Windows XP Pro Domain Login

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by billmccl, Sep 14, 2006.

1. billmccl

billmccl Junior Member

I have a problem I do not understand. I am using XP Pro in parallels RC 1884 on my Mac Pro 3.0ghz w/2gb of RAM, and it seems to work fine with two exceptions:

1. I cannot get the XP Pro VM to login to the domain. The network services work fine in bridged mode, the 2003 server is quite accessible, but when I use the XP Pro domain login tool to register the Parallels VM on the domain, the parallels XP Pro install consistenly returns a message that it cannot find the server. I can ping anything on the network as usual. I need to map several network drives where data
    /files are stored.

2. Citirx applications are not functioning normally. It takes an extensive period of time to launch a citrix app, although I can occasionally get one to launch.

Any help appreciated.....

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

There is possibility that firewall is blocking this. Could you check your firewall settings?

3. billmccl

billmccl Junior Member

This is all inside the firewall, the firewall is not between me and the network. Any native mac or windows machine on the identical connection works fine.....

4. Ynot

Ynot Pro

Try to disable firewall inside guest VM. Microsoft Windows Firewall is blocking lot of ports by default.

5. billmccl

billmccl Junior Member

That is not the issue. I have disabled the Windows firewalls, and the same result occurrs.

Also, I have Boot Camp installed on this same machine, and it has no problem at all registering and mapping drives within the domain.

Don't understand the problem here.....

6. majorsl

majorsl Bit poster

I too am having this problem, or something very close. When I attempt to join our DOMAIN it does correctly find it, however when I enter my user/pass as a DOMAIN Admin to allow the joining, I'm greeting with "Cannot join DOMAIN, user not found."

I've had a couple other Domain Admins try and they cannot either. I can replicate this on two Macs running Parallels.

When I was first testing Parallels for our organization a few months ago joining the DOMAIN worked PERFECTLY. In fact, on my original test machine I left the DOMAIN and tried to rejoin with the same error. The only thing that has changed on that Mac is Parallels being updated. I suspect one of the updates to Parallels changed something.

7. dneville

dneville Bit poster

Same problem here

I believe there is some sort of encryption difficulty w/ the windows server that is preventing the proper communication. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

I paid for phone support last Monday and they still haven't returned my call so this is my last effort I guess.... someone! Does anyone know anything about this problem?

dn

8. ptrourke

ptrourke Bit poster

Domain Login Parallels Desktop 1898

I can replicate this. I had no difficulty logging into my domain until installing build 1898. Now I cannot log into the domain, but can easily log into a local account and get network access. Disabling the OS X firewall and the Windows firewall has no effect.

9. selch

selch Bit poster

I've had no problems connecting to my domain using version 1922. What version are you using?

10. ptrourke

ptrourke Bit poster

Updating to 1922 and tools did not help. Am using a MacBook, 1 GB RAM, Windows XP SP2 Pro image, OS X 10.4.7 host system, bridging to WiFi, but using a WAP with the firewall disabled and which has passed through domain authentication to this image in the past; have also disabled both Windows and OS X firewalls. Only other oddity that I can think of is that this image used to be located on a firewire drive, but has since been moved to the local drive.

EDIT: forgot to mention: Windows 2003 AD domain.

11. sray

sray Bit poster

We use Parallels extensively in our company and we've run into this problem. The solution is to login as local administrator, remove the windows box from the domain and then add it to the domain again. Now log back in as a domain user and you will be fine.

Not sure why this happens. It pops up every once in a while and so far this workaround has worked.

12. ptrourke

ptrourke Bit poster

Thanks, this did the trick (removing from domain and adding back to domain). Unfortunately, that screws up the user profile, but I can live with that.