Build 1940 of Parallels Desktop for Mac

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by STim, Oct 10, 2006.

1. STim

STim Bit poster

Hello everyone!

Build 1940 is ready to download from here.

Main fix of this build is better memory management for MacPro and iMac Core 2 Duo with more than 4GB RAM. Other minor fixes for customers reported problems introduced like Shared Folders and unicode characters.

Plus one more thing some advanced users might find useful - an initial possibility of Parallels Desktop operation scripting. Check the Parallels.app/Contents/Resources/PvsRemote command-line tool for details.

As usual, your feedback on this build is very much appreciated.

Best regards,
    Tim

2. dmainzman

dmainzman Bit poster

Yeah, when will we see 3D support in a beta build? EVER?
    You guys promised us potential 3D support a long time ago.

3. mcg

mcg Hunter

Oh, please. They did no such thing, at least not on YOUR timeline. From my reading it has been clear that 3D support is not an immediate priority but a longer-term goal.

4. controller

controller Member

This build works great on my Mac Pro with 4GB of RAM (all enabled), as did the last few versions. I noticed some clean ups too:

a newer icon in the dock,

no more "Release Candidate" text,

I didn't have to sleep the machine to get VT-x working (sometimes that happens though so that could have been a fluke),

A prompt to register (although I already bought the product and it shows as activated/licensed),

A prompt to reinstall Parallels Tools to the latest version.

Looks and acts polished!

5. Scott Willsey

Scott Willsey Hunter

Mine too. They made it very clear that is something in the future (and not in the immediate future).

Interesting new dock items that indicate what type of OS is running! :)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2006
  6. jhapeman

jhapeman Bit poster

Fixed the RAM issue, too

Build 1922 would cause a kernel panic on my Mac Pro (2.66 w/ 5GB RAM) if I increased the RAM allowed for the VM to the max 1.5GB; that problem is fixed now. Sweet.

Still doesn't seem to have all the nice tools for Vista that you have XP, like the seamless mouseover. Coming soon? I expect my EA release of Vista in about 45 days.

jeff

7. Snowing

Snowing Bit poster

VT-x issue remains

Unfortunately Build 1940 hasn't helped with my VT-x issue. I still have to sleep. :(

8. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Snowing,

VT-x issue is not Parallels fault. It is bug in Mac Pro firmware. We are pushing Apple to fix and hopefully it will be fixed in th upcoming firmware updates.

9. bamsaleg

bamsaleg Member

Dmainzman,

Everyone has it's own agenda.
    In my case, having to transition many VPC users in the next 12-18 month, I would trade 3D for direct conversion of Virtual PC images to Parallels...

and yes, this is in the FAQ as something that may be part of a future version...

Parallels team must know best than us, what is possible on what time frame and with what business casse to found the developement and testing effort.

10. plasticaugus

plasticaugus Bit poster

Works fine on my Macbook with Ubuntu & XP Pro.

Now we just need some Parallels tools for Linux (pretty please)

11. Snowing

Snowing Bit poster

Right… now I know. So given Parallels is able to recognise this, is it possible then to stop the VM from actually starting or to at least give the option. Instead of being told it and having the VM carry on its merry way in the meantime it would be nice to be able say I don't want to start to the VM.

12. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

But you can start it without VT-x support in software mode. It is less speedy but also works pretty good.

13. swilcox

swilcox Bit poster

Garmin USB support?

I know there are lots of things on the development team's plate, but this is the one that concerns me :)

I don't suppose this version allows us Garmin Edge owners to use our devices, does it?

14. webdeck

webdeck Member

I can't use the sleep workaround for VT-x because my Mac doesn't go into a deep enough sleep due to the ATTO ul5d SCSI PCIe card that's installed.

To get VT-x working, is it simply a matter of setting %cr4 to 0x26e0 instead of 0x06e0 so that VME is enabled?

I tried writing a small efi application for rEFIt to set the VME bit in %cr4 and it worked, but of course booting into Mac OS X undid it. Is there no way to set that bit in %cr4 once the OS is running?

Thanks,
    -Mike

15. phobus

phobus Bit poster

Sleep mode worked for me in the last build, but after upgrading today, sleep mode no longer works for getting VT-x to work. :confused:

16. esz

esz Junior Member

Build 1940 strange behavior...

This build has new behavior I haven't seen with any of the older builds:

When I switch to full screen mode in Windows XP, my desktop background (Windows XP - Stretch) gets switched to a blank blue screen. Of course I can set it again, but when I switch back to the small screen it's blank and blue again.:confused: When I go into the Display Properties to set it again, it still has "Windows XP" selected as the Background pattern, but it's just not displaying it...

MacBook 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, Win XP Pro

17. conalho

conalho Member

I think a lot of us have been dying for better USB implementation.

This latest build, 1940, still cannot work with my Garmin Forerunner 205. Is the USB problem such a difficult problem to solve? I hope not.

Cheers.

18. Miko

Miko Junior Member

This build did not fix the memory problem in my MAC PRO with 5GB i still ONLY have 1500mb available to use in VM :( more info: http://forum.parallels.com/thread4978.html
    Really sux i got 5gb just so that i could use at least 2 in parallels......
    Maybe tomorrow with next build ;)

19. MartyMcr

MartyMcr Hunter

Miko

Have you "undone" the memory restrictions that the previous version used? You may have to reset some parameters to get rid of the 1500MB limit.

20. Miko

Miko Junior Member

are you talking about the "reserved memory limit" ?
    in that case yes i have chage it to over 4gb if not i'm not sure .....