Full resolution for XF86 (Red Hat EL3) on a Macbook

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by glasser, Oct 7, 2006.

1. glasser

glasser Bit poster

I have a VM on my MacBook running Ubuntu; its X server is xorg, and it properly is capable of using the MacBook's full resolution (1280x800, I believe).

I also have a VM on which I just installed RHEL3. Its X server is XF86. Try as I might, I can't figure out the corrent /etc/X11/XF86Config magic to make it run at full resolution. The RedHat GUI "displays" control panel doesn't list that as an option, either. Does anybody have XF86 running on a MacBook at full resolution and might share their Monitors section (or whatever is necessary)?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. donnie

donnie Member

For Ubuntu, try adding one custom resolution in Parallels for 1280x800. Then, turn on the Ubuntu VM and run 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg'. Accept defaults (unless you know what you're doing) and definitely allow it to auto-detect monitor and communicate with video driver. Accept the resulting defaults from the detection and communication. It will create the xorg.conf file for you with correct sync/refresh and resolution mode lines.

3. glasser

glasser Bit poster

... no, *not* Ubuntu :)

Hmm, I think you missed my point -- x.org and Ubuntu work *fine*, but I'm trying to get an RHEL3 / XF86 VM to go 1280x800.

4. donnie

donnie Member

Sorry, I did misread you. Presumably you've set up the custom resolution in Parallels for 1280x800 before running the X configurator in Redhat?

5. glasser

glasser Bit poster

Aha, thanks Donnie, I had not tried that. It doesn't seem to help, though. (What does it actually do?) I am now selecting 1280x800 successfully in redhat-config-xfree86, but it doesn't actually change the resolution all the way to that (I think it ends up at 1024x768).

6. donnie

donnie Member

This sounds weird, I know, but I had to create a phony custom resolution a step up from my real one in order to get the real one to "take" in the guest vm. In other words, my custom resolutions contain:
    1680x1050
    1920x1200
    . . . Even though 1680x1050 is my real resolution. This trick works on my machine, but I don't know why (or even why it's necessary).