(SUSE) Linux on a Mac

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by gosh, Oct 9, 2006.

1. gosh

gosh Member

Hi,

Successfully running XP in Parallels VM on my iMac but interested in running SUSE Linux in another (just to appreciate different OSes). Any known issues? Are there Parallels tools as for Windows?

Grateful for advise, or direction to appropriate links.

2. plarusa

plarusa Member

I am running Suse enterprise Linux 10 without issues.

3. gosh

gosh Member

Before I try - just like to know how different it is to install than XP. XP was easy and Parallels documentation was supportive. Also Paralles Tools were available for Windows but not Linux.

Mouse support, Shared Folders etc?

4. riri

riri Bit poster

i am
    using suse 10.1. mostly everything works finee. wireless usb mouse and wireless bluetooth keyboard. wireless internet through os x no problems either.

however there are some issues:

- parallesl seems to forget about the online updates i perform in suse through yast.... not very nice
    - i haven't figured out how to set up a shared folder so far. but since i'm using the konqueror browser i just use fish://..... in order to move stuff from one os to the other. that works just fine but not very fast.
    - every time i stop the vm it somehow is not able to remember the correct local time. i have to reset the system clock after every resart of vm.... not very convinient...

other then that it works just fine.

riri

5. gosh

gosh Member

Thanks for the reply! I had a feeling that maybe there was a few things behind the level of support Parallels gives for Windows guests. Forgive my ignorance but do you think these problem areas are typical with any guest Linux or just SUSE?

6. Victor

Victor Member

I got Suse 8.1 (or isit 8.2???) Running without problems from DVD install. I tried to download and install the latest as well, but couldnt get it to boot into install so gave up.

7. websyndicate

websyndicate Hunter

works great for me the few times I use it. I just have it for the hell of it.

8. riri

riri Bit poster

"Thanks for the reply! I had a feeling that maybe there was a few things behind the level of support Parallels gives for Windows guests. Forgive my ignorance but do you think these problem areas are typical with any guest Linux or just SUSE?"

i wouldn't know about that. i have tried to install ubuntu about 6 month ago. but with no luck. had trouble connecting to the wirelesse. so i gave up and went back to suse. appart from those mentioned problems it works fine. even though i have trouble with the supermount. it does not mount some of my stuff correctly such as external harddrives or ipod-like players. i'll have to mount them manually.. i would appreciate any help in that area..

cheers

riri

9. Sideways

Sideways Member

Re Linux on Parallels

Hi,
    I'm running a full Oracle development environment under SuSE 10 under Parallels. Works fine and is as fast as a native PC, except when I context switch to another running Parallels instance (XP) when it slows quite a bit.

No Parallels tools install for Linux (seriously needed-Parallels Team ....hint hint....) so I use scp (secure copy) between OS/X terminal and the Linux instance, which works fine, even for large (Gigabyte) copy operations.

All running under Host Only, incidentally.

Paul

10. gosh

gosh Member

Yeah, come on Parallels - when you gonna enhance this excellent product for better Linux distros compatability?