PW 2.1 for Mac OS X beta3 is here!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Ben @ Parallels, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Ben @ Parallels

Ben @ Parallels Member

I'm proud to say that with the support of our almost 50,000 beta testers we were able to resolve a number of bugs and issues very quickly, and as a result, are making beta3 of Parallels Workstation 2.1 for Mac OS X available for download!

Get your copy at at the Parallels for Mac OS X Download Center. Don't forget that if you pre-order your copy now, you can save $10 off the $49.99 retail price!

Beta3 offers the several fixes and improvements that bring us much closer to a complete product:
    • No need to reinstall Parallels Workstation if its moved from the default file location.
    • Mac OS X no longer restarts when Parallels Workstation is left running and host wakes up from Sleep mode
    • Kernel no longer panics when working with several VMs
    • Improved speed and performance
    • Idling guest OS now consumes only 1-2% of CPU power
    • Bridged networking issues fixed
    • Sound support introduced
    • Improved wi-fi support (especially for MacBook pros)
    • Improved mouse synchronization tool
    • Keyboard mapping and repeating bugs fixed
    • CD/DVD problems fixed
    • Many other minor bug fixes
    A few known issues that are being resolved now:
    • Do NOT suspend your VM when sound is playing inside guest, as it may reset Mac OS X.
    • VMs are created with the Sound device pointing to the Null Device. Its important to point it to Default Audio manually to have sound enabled in a VM.
    • Sound may tremble at the beginning of playing
    • USB is not working yet, but will be very soon
    • Video output is still a bit slow
    • Image Tool is not available yet, but will be very soon.

2. dailo

dailo Member

You guys are the best!!

3. diavo

diavo Bit poster

Audio problem

Still can't get the audio to work, the sound preference menu is all been greyed out. Anything i need to set or install? The drive can't read dvd as well, can't decode.

4. Copilot

Copilot Member

To add sound, you need to Edit your VM configuration then use the Add>Next>Add Device Instantly buttons. Then change Null Device to Built In.

MIne works great. Great job, guys!

5. oxonian

oxonian Member

Mouse limitation in Beta 3?

Under beta 2, there was a nice feature that as I moved the mouse off the Parallels window, it changes from Windows pointer to mac pointer seemlessly and I could go click on a mac app.

In Beta 3 it seems this doesn't work and instead I have to be constantly using the Ctrl+Alt to Relase the mouse.

Has the feature I saw before been switched off, or am I missing sometihng?

Oh, and GREAT work by the way guys. You are making amazing progress.

6. pcunix

pcunix Junior Member

This beta3 fixed my networking issues but I still cannot type a pipe in Linux (any Linux). If I type |, I get >

7. pcunix

pcunix Junior Member

Still restarts after sleep

It still restarts my machine..

8. kboggs

kboggs Bit poster

Mouse a little jerky?

I'm using the intel Mac version of PWS runnig WinXP Pro.

I've noticed that my mouse pointer is a bit jerky on screen. I've tried tuning the settings in the Mouse control panel but it doesn't seem to make much difference. Is this just part of the beta experience or should I look for a deeper cause?

Thanks for doing such a great job.

9. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

You should install Parallels Tools - click on the menu VM->Install Parallels Tools. Installation wizard should run automatically. If not - just browse CD in guest Windows and click on PrlTools.exe.

10. pcunix

pcunix Junior Member

Only that once. This morning, it was fine.

11. Joseph_Ryan

Joseph_Ryan Bit poster

Nits to pick: (while I wait for Win XP SP2 to load on my shiny new VM)

1) Can't change label color of Parallel.app - what gives?

2) I am a Mac newbie - but I can tell there is something 'klunky" about the first few screens. They just don't quite behave like they should.

That said, If I can get XP and Win98 working (the later just to run some old kid's games) I would have to say this thing rocks!

12. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

I got my Intel MacMini just yesterday so the first thing I did was to install Beta3. I'm really looking forward to eventually a MacBook Pro with this product as my development environment.

In trying to install both XP and Win2000 the F8 problem kept me from getting past it. It is definitey not fixed in this release as far as I can tell. I finally figured out a way to make my MS keyboard send an F8.

I got Win2000 installed but was unable to get XP installed as I have an upgrade disk which forces me to eject the XP disk and "look for a compatible product to upgrade from". I've been unsuccessful at getting the disk ejected so I can have the damn XP upgrade see my Win2000 disk.

I've also had in just the short time I've been using Beta3, three of the "You must press and hold the power button to turn off your Mac and restart". No particular thing triggered these. One time was just plugging in the the wired network cable to get networking going and suddenly it crashes.

I will pre-order the product as I think you guys are on the right track however I must stress strongly that you need to figure out how to NOT panic stop the OS. That will keep the product from ever reaching mainstream if people cannot rely on their OS after use of Parallels.

Mark

13. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

Also,

Sometimes I get a dialog when starting the VM that my processor supports VT-x but is disabled in firmware. Just now I did not get it. No idea why.

M

14. fattymelt

fattymelt Bit poster

you guys rock. I've had a few glitches, but overall the performance and ease of use of beta3 is amazing. I'm not suggesting you slow development, but just wanted you to know that there are a ton of people out here who think this is already an amazing product. fantastic work.

15. jaysong

jaysong Bit poster

F8 problem solution!!!

Some have report a problem loading xp because F8 to load os will not work. What I did to solve this was go to system preferences and under keyoard check the "Use the F1-F12 keys to controll sofware features" I had no issues after doing that. The F8 key becomes an F8 key rather than a off switch for th ebacklit keyboard on may macbook Pro. Hope that helps.
    Jayson

16. Ensoniq

Ensoniq Bit poster

Mac keyboards have a key marked "fn" in the lower left corner, next to the "ctrl" key. If you press "fn" (which stands for function) and hold it down while pressing F8, it should work fine for you.

17. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

Unfortunately I'm using an MS wireless keyboard (really for PC's) which doesn't have a function key. I was able to make the keyboard send the F8 however.

I agree with FattyMelt. The product rocks. It just needs to become more stable. I got Win2000 loaded and started to play with loading some apps but the network keeps crapping out. I've seen another report on this too so I know I'm not the only one.

Like I said, I'll order it and hope it stabilizes.

Mark

18. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

We are working hard on all issues you are guys reporting. And all these stability problems will be fixed before official release.

19. jaysong

jaysong Bit poster

I tried on my macbook and fn + F8 together when loading VM XP = No Joy. That is the first thing I tried but not would for me. What type of machine did this work on for you Ensoniq? Would be great to document what works on what models.

20. mbeyer

mbeyer Bit poster

still reboots from sleep

>>Mac OS X no longer restarts when Parallels Workstation is left running and host wakes up from Sleep mode

This still happens for me. I am running beta 3.