Usb 2.0

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by kyrunner, Oct 11, 2006.

1. kyrunner

kyrunner Junior Member

im using the new build 1940 .and every time i plug in a usb device it says i need a 2.0 usb .any way to fix this.im on a new imac running windows xp as my vm machine

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

Parallels emulates USB 1.1, but at near 2.0 speeds. For now, ignore the complaints from the guest if it works. The usual message is something like "your device will run faster if you have USB 2.0" or some such. In most cases, it won't because Parallels' implementation is faster than the 1.1 it reports.

If the device refuses to run, you'll have to wait with the rest of us for USB passthrough.

3. kgregc

kgregc Member

Could someone from the Parallels Team answer this question...even if it is an official "we have no plans to support USB 2.0" at this time or ever.. It would at least put this concern to rest...or on hold.

Thanks.

4. mroedig

mroedig Bit poster

If your USB device is a hard disk, attach to it from the host (OS X) and share it out to your Windows guest OS.

5. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

We are going to support USB 2.0 in upcoming versions, but I can't give exact dates.

6. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

OH YEAH!!!!!!!!

I'm assume with USB 2.0 that Parallels is going to have a better playthrough too like JoeM is always talking about?????

7. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

USB 2.0 controller gives better compatibility with USB 2.0 devices - thats all. Better passthrough is another issue - we are working on it as well.

8. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

Thank you so much Andrew for working on those two major issues.

9. Victor

Victor Member

Any chance of firewire support?

10. joem

joem Forum Maven

This works well for disk formats OSX can deal with. For NTFS formatted drives, it works read only unless you find a third party driver that will read and write NTFS formatted drives in OSX (a desirable thing if a well tested one can be found).

Another solution is to plug the drive into another machine that does understand its format, and access it over the network.

Once again (hoping to up the priority a bit) USB passthrough would solve this problem as well as a number of other problems such as disk burning, protected DVD watching, phone updating, using printer features not available over the network, GPS, many development tools, and lots of other devices folks are having trouble with. This would solve so many problems, I'd vote to make it top priority once current show stopping bugs are fixed. And of course, while USB passthrough is being implemented, increasing the two device limit to something like 32 or 64 would be a good thing.