Parallels Images ready to download!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by GFBurke, Sep 4, 2006.

1. MikeBasinger

MikeBasinger Bit poster

Backtrack

I have been trying to download the Backtrack image for awhile but can not get enough seeds to get it downloaded. Can you post what you did to get Backtrack working in Parallels and I will roll my own.

If I get a copy going, I could host it on my web site.

Thanks,
    Mike

Last edited: Oct 10, 2006
  2. GFBurke

GFBurke Member

I am still seeding:
    Xubuntu
    Ubuntu
    BackTrack
    Kanotix

At a constant.

Wow, many GB's worth of upload this month.
    ;)

(Maybe Parallels will give out direct hosting?)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2006
  3. lmhaffner

lmhaffner Junior Member

I've been seeding all 7 offerings since about last week (~90+ GB out my door!).

Especially those of you who've been downloading at 100+ kB/s, please leave your BT client open after you snag these images! The whole point of BT is that everyone contributes to the load. Cap the upload speed if you want, but having the whole torrents accessible is the essential thing since there aren't a ton of active downloaders for these.

4. JLadd

JLadd Bit poster

Thanks for the Torrents - how do I unzip?

I was able to download the torrent of the Freespire VM, but I get an error message when I try to unzip it, either using the Finder or Stuffit Expander...what am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

jladd

5. brandelune

brandelune Bit poster

Definitely Debian. for some reason I can't properly configure X11, which is a pain in the butt...

Or maybe somebody could help with that specific item ? I have a MacBook + a separate 19" LCD monitor on which I'd like to have Debian most of the time (and sometimes on the 13" when in "portable" format...)

6. Robster

Robster Hunter

I know I must have mssed this BUT I have downloaded the Xubuntu VM.

What is the logon and passowrd for the default user?????????

Robin

7. lmhaffner

lmhaffner Junior Member

There is a README in many of those packages, but I think it's just 'user' and 'password', IIRC.

8. Robster

Robster Hunter

Yea, like an idiot I dropped the download and the readme's in the trash and just kep the Parallells folder. :eek:(

Many thanks

Robin

9. AlanH

AlanH Pro

On the only one I tried it was 'owner' and 'password'

10. MrT

MrT Bit poster

Updating Ubuntu Automatically - Good Idea?

Hi there,

First off, thanks to Burke for creating these great images.

When I started the Ubuntu image earlier this week, a helpful updater opened up and said there were a bunch of updates I could download to "upgrade" my installation of Ubuntu.

Now, I'm having some boot problems when I start the VM.

Was updating the system a bad idea?

Thanks,

Mr. T

11. edugas

edugas Bit poster

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  12. smigs

smigs Bit poster

Can anyone seed the Backtrack Image? I have been trying to get it but there are no seeders.

Thanks,
    smigs

13. GFBurke

GFBurke Member

Added
    Ubuntu 6.10!
    (replaced old version - Nice and clean)

14. GFBurke

GFBurke Member

Added
    Xubuntu 6.10
    (replaced old version)

15. bortuzar

bortuzar Bit poster

Im having problems with Ubuntu 6.10 on my MacBook Pro. I downloaded and copied the image to my HDD.

When i boot, the screen goes black and never comes back, to the login screen.
    Even in recovery mode, i dont get to the prompt, it hangs in the boot process.

I have the same problem when i install ubuntu 6.10 from scratch, it works perfect after the installation. But when i reboot it, it never works again.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance,

16. GFBurke

GFBurke Member

Well I cant test on a Pro.. but I do know the new 6.10's just show a black screen while booting.. takes 30sec or so.. But I assume you have alraedy waited long enough..

You might try booting with options .. like turn off PCMCIA support etc..

17. Roner

Roner Junior Member

To get usplash working in Ubuntu 6.10, edit /etc/usplash.conf and change the resolution to 1024x768, add vga=791 to the grub options, run sudo update-grub and sudo dpkg-reconfigure usplash, and you're home free. These will only work on the running kernel.

A different question: on my virtual machine the progress bar of update-manager and synaptic do not display the proper colors, but a pale white instead, with the timing mostly invisible. Anyone else encountered this problem? Also, on my iMac 20" it seems the only working resolution now is 1680x1050 (I don't mind that, but I do want to have more options).

Thanks.

18. GFBurke

GFBurke Member

Yeah, its that way in both xubuntu and ubuntu since 6.10 (status bars)
    Not sure about any other rez then the 1280x800 myself.

19. stephdau

stephdau Bit poster

Fedora Core 6 Image

I have a image for the new Fedora Core 6 (Zod), if anybody is interested.

You can find it on my blog.

20. Roner

Roner Junior Member

I created on an old PC a fully functional Linux mail server, which polls my mail from all of my accounts (it does not receive mail directly), scans it for viruses and spam (using clamav and spambayes), and provides a secure imap connection as well as a secure webmail interface. The idea - get all of your email with one imap server. If people are interested, I can create an ubuntu image with such a mail server, complete with instructions, although it will take a while. Let me know.