Want to Run Vista Under PD? Prepare to Pay More

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by austone, Oct 13, 2006.

1. austone

austone Junior Member

Looks like Microsoft is not happy at the thought of people buying the cheap versions of Vista and running them under VM software like Parallels Desktop :mad: :

Techweb
    Bad move Microsoft. Many Parallels Mac users are going to be hurt by this. I don't need a "Business" version of Vista to run on my Mac. In fact, I think I'll avoid Vista altogether now. Win2k and XP run just fine under Parallels Desktop.

2. austone

austone Junior Member

Update:

Techweb
    This mention has been removed from the Vista blog as well.

The license for Windows Vista Home - Basic - (downloads.microsoft.com/documents/useterms/Windows Vista_Home Basic....)
    states:
    It sounds like now, that you won't be able to install Vista under Boot Camp and then under Parallels Desktop.

3. waterhead37

waterhead37 Member

If it continues to demand 105% of my CPU in Parallels, I shall be happy not to use Vista. I reckon that XP will continue to do what I need from Windows for several years yet!

4. palter

palter Hunter

My interpretation is that you can't install Vista Home in a virtual machine running inside Vista Home unless you have two separate licenses.

According to other parts of the license, you won't be able to install Vista Home in both Parallels and Boot Camp simultaneously as that would be an attempt to install it on two different "licensed devices".

Of course, I'm not a lawyer. (Thank goodness)