604MB recommended with 2GB?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by JimTomlinson, Oct 13, 2006.

1. JimTomlinson

JimTomlinson Bit poster

I have a MacBook Pro (2.16GHz) with 2GB of RAM. I seem to recall that Parallels Desktop used to recommend 1500MB as my max memory to allocate to the VM, but maybe I'm mis-remembering. At any rate, I had a bad DIMM installed and spent some time running the VM at 604MB as I only had 1GB RAM installed while I replaced the bad RAM. I've now gotten a good replacement, and am back up to 2GB, but Parallels is still recommending a maximum of 604MB (for WinXP), although it will let me push it up to 1500MB. Is this recommendation an artifact of when I was running with only 1GB, and if so, how do I clear that artifact? I do want to run Parallels as optimally as possible, so a definitive answer on the best memory allocation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jim Tomlinson

2. sandau

sandau Member

i use parallels / windows 2003 / sql server 2000 & 2005 / VS2003 & 2005 and found that 800mb is very responsive without killing OS X. Works fantastic even with the heavy duty server and compiling I do. I'm on a macbook pro 2.0ghz 2gb ram.

3. JimTomlinson

JimTomlinson Bit poster

Got it; I'm an idiot. Memory setting in Parallels' Preferences (not the VM's memory) was set too low. Sorry for the wasted bandwidth. Please return to your normal Friday.