How many CPUs e.g kernels ???

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by shortie, Oct 14, 2006.

1. shortie

shortie Bit poster

Hi I have paralles (1940) installed, no matter what I install (Xp or Vista), only one cpu with one kernel is detected that's at least what the taskmanager says. VT-x is enabled and the acceleration mode is set to high.

Is this correct?

Also I constantly get this message VT-x is locked by firmware. When I put the Mac into sleep and wake it up again, it is gone. But I have to do i every time when the mac was shutdown

Kind regards,

shortie

My System:

MAC Pro with 5 GB RAM, 2*2,66 GHZ Xeon, 4* 250 GB HDD, Geforce 7300, two opticals

MAC OS X pathched to the latest

Last edited: Oct 14, 2006
  2. Mr SA

Mr SA Member

You don't have to read very far on these forums to find out that there is a bug in the Mac firmware that requires the sleep-resume cycle.

The VT-x technology makes one CPU available to the virtual machine. Parallels emulates a one CPU machine. Worth remembering that Parallels is a technology that makes part (and part only) of the host hardware environment available to the guest environment.

3. shortie

shortie Bit poster

Hi Mr SA,

I agree with your first part. But I didn't know that I have to do the sleep thing everytime I boot up my MAC

With your explanation regarding the cpu issue I don't agree. The shop which sold my MAC had XP running in a VM wih four !! CPUs in the taskmanager......

Regards shortie

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Junior Member

Running XP in a VM, or running natively (XP natively definitely supports multiple CPUs on Macs)? I too would be interested in having a VM using both CPUs on my system, but AFAIK, it isn't yet possible.

5. majortom

majortom Member

Right! Works on 1 Core in PD and on ALL cores of 1 CPU even on XP Home if booted directly. Of course, all cores of all CPUs if Professional vers.

6. Mr SA

Mr SA Member

... so don't shut it down. Just sleep it between sessions.

Your memory is playing tricks. You can't get the four processors to be seen by the guest OS. A single processor is available.

7. VTMac

VTMac Pro

They did not have 4 cpus showing in task manager in a VM. They might have it booted into bootcamp, but that is native not a VM. It is IMPOSSIBLE to do with the VT-x implementation in the current Intel chips. If you still don't believe, go check out the Intel site. Or read one of the many other posts on this forum about this topic.