Problem cloning the VM

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by aero320, Oct 14, 2006.

1. aero320

aero320 Member

I am trying to clone the VM and get about half way through and an error comes up saying 'file too large". The VM is set to 12GB (fixed size) and I am trying to copy to USB Drive from OS X.

Also, tried just copying the .hdd file and it makes it about half way through.

Any ideas?

2. Mr SA

Mr SA Member

Lots of file systems have limits at 4GB for a single file. You might find you have run up against this with the USB file system - lots of layers of software make it difficult to point the finger accurately, but the 4GB thing is very well understood in the Linux/UNIX world.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Junior Member

What is the filesystem on the USB drive? If it's not HFS+, I doubt you can copy it.

How much disk space available on you destination? It may require more than just enough space for the file, given the gymnastics done to work around the 4GB limit...

4. aero320

aero320 Member

Problem cloning

Drive is a USB with 67GB free. Formated to FAT32

5. joem

joem Forum Maven

The largest possible on a FAT32 partition is 4GB minus two bytes.

If your VM files are larger, you will need to reformat the drive with a Mac filesystem.

6. palter

palter Hunter

FAT32 doesn't support files larger than 4GB. You'll need to reformat the drive as HFS+ if you want to clone your VM onto it. Of course, you'll lose all the data on the drive when your reformat it.