Command-line launch of Parallels for Desktop Mac

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by cactustweeter, Oct 14, 2006.

1. cactustweeter

cactustweeter Junior Member

I would like to launch Parallels for Desktop Mac from the command-line so Windows XP starts up immediately in full-screen mode. Is this possible? If so, what was the command-line syntax look like? Thanks...

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Junior Member

I don't think you can do this directly.

Closest thing I see is launching Parallels with the desired VM from the terminal. You still have to hit the 'start' button, and tell it to go into full-screen mode.

ie:

/Applications/Parallels/Parallels.app/Contents/MacOS/Parallels \
    ~/Library/Parallels/WinXP/WinXP.pvs

or wherever you've stored your VM.

3. constant

constant Forum Maven

Look in configuration, under VM Flags, and tell me what you see.

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Junior Member

Thanks constant, I stand corrected. Autostart and Switch to fullscreen are there, in plain view. So after you edit those, you can indeed start XP from the command line, in full screen mode.

Learn something every day....

5. cactustweeter

cactustweeter Junior Member

We all do! Thanks guys. I used that information to write the following script:

#!/bin/sh

sudo /usr/bin/pmset -c displaysleep 0
    /Applications/Parallels/Parallels.app/Contents/MacOS/Parallels ~/Library/Parallels/winxp/winxp.pvs
    sudo /usr/bin/pmset -c displaysleep 15

I use the script to turn off sleeping my monitor, from Mac OS X, when the computer is inactive for 15 minutes. This script is a workaround for the monitor sleeping problem I was having when using Windows XP hands-free from Parallels.

Note this post: http://forums.parallels.com/thread4547.html

I think this would be a better solution for me if it was an AppleScript because then I would not have to enter a password, but I don't know AppleScript so it will take me some time to convert it. Thanks again...

6. Delphyne

Delphyne Member

You'll need to enter a password in either case, but the applescript version would look something like this...

create a file in the shell just like what you did before, and name it something, let's say /Users/yourname/Documents/foo.sh

The applescript would be:
    -----------
    do shell script "/Users/yourname/Documents/foo.sh" with administrator privileges
    -----------

That will pop up the standard OSX username/password dialog you're accustomed to.

7. jbmelby

jbmelby Member

try

----------
    do shell script "/Users/yourname/Documents/foo.sh" user name "XXXXXX" password "YYYYYY" with administrator privileges
    ----------

where XXXXXX is your user name and YYYYYY is your password.

This should bypass the username/password dialog (assuming, of course, that you want to).