Canon IP5000 Printing

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by kthacher, Oct 14, 2006.

1. kthacher

kthacher Junior Member

I have read the various threads on printing, but I can't tell if my exact problem has been solved. Here is what I am seeing. I have a network with two Mac's and one PC (daughters).

1. The Canon IP5000 is connected to the USB port on the Mac
    2. It prints fine.
    3. I can print from Parallels with full driver functionality - duplex etc. From either the VM or from the actual PC.
    4. Once I set the printer up in Parallels I can no longer print from the Mac, although printing does work from the VM or the real PC.
    5. I need to stop the VM to get printing back on the Mac
    6. The whole point of this is to allow my daughters PC to print plus allow printing from two Mac's. If she uses Bonjour, then we can all print, but the Bonjour print driver does not contain all the options that the IP5000 has. For example, duplex printing.

Is there any way to stop Parallels from locking out the Mac's from printing without being forced to use Bonjour?

Thanks in advance

2. Mr SA

Mr SA Member

This is way simple. You just have to realise how easy it is.

You need to share a printer. The printer can only be attached by USB to one machine. By using Parallels, the Mac is giving up control of the printer to the guest OS in Parallels. This is no good if you need to print from the Mac side.

What you need is a variation on the CUPS printing method for which I gave detaield instructions here:

http://forums.parallels.com/post24774-66.html

You want the printer to be attached to the Mac. You want to set up a "raw pass through" printer object and share that. Each OS can then load up its own printer drivers and talk to the shared raw printer, including the Mac.

3. kthacher

kthacher Junior Member

Well close but no cigar. Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I use your method, but at the end of the CUPS part I get the following message: client-error-not-possible.

Any ideas?

Thanks

4. SteveLgBch

SteveLgBch Bit poster

I'd like to try this too, so I can also use Qimage. When I access CUPS I get asked for a username and password. I tried using my regular username and short username, but I can't get past the authorization screen. Do you know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

5. constant

constant Forum Maven

Does OSX come with Samba?

Too late now, but one should never, ever, buy a Canon printer.

6. Mr SA

Mr SA Member

Use your shortname and password. These should work.

7. Mr SA

Mr SA Member

What was the exact output from the Terminal? What did you cut and paste?

8. kthacher

kthacher Junior Member

OK - this is what I cut and pasted.

direct usb://Canon/iP5000?serial=11E9A2

9. kthacher

kthacher Junior Member

OK - I got a hint from your e-mail and removed "direct" from the cut and paste. I was able to add the printer in Windows now, and got a test page to print.

I then tried a real job and it hung. You can see the job in the print queue and it died after sending one byte. The print job looked abnormally large (7M or so). When I open up the printer and try to remove the job, I am told "access denied".

I removed the printer, rebooted the VM and added the printer again. The print queue is still there and I still am denied access.

10. Mr SA

Mr SA Member

Not sure of any clear advice on where to go from here. I think you are close. If the queue has entries in it after your restart of the VM, then the queue in question is on the host machine. You will have to do a bit more work in the CUPS interface to get it sorted.

11. kthacher

kthacher Junior Member

Well I went to CUPS and deleted the problem jobs. I actually have two printers defined. When i tried to print through the raw one from the Mac nothing happens. So now I print on the USB one from the Mac, and the networked one set up in CUPS from the PC.

This now seems to work. I do find that the printer seems to hang once in a while still. Thanks for your help.