RC2 Compressor Problems

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Godrifle, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Godrifle

Godrifle Member

Just ran the compressor from within WinXP on RC2, and although Parallels reported it completed, upon waking my Mac, Parallels was hung. Upon rebooting, Windows launched its disk repair routine, reporting that it found problems. Here's the description from logs:
    Now that I've rebooted, I notice that there are a number of files in c:\Documents and Settings\Chris\ taking up a large amount of space. They are:
    Are these leftover files? Can they be removed safely? Is this a known issue with compressor?

2. Godrifle

Godrifle Member

Hello? Parallels fellows? Can I get an assist here?

3. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

Over the years of using windows fat32 and having had this question come up many a time... I got into the habit of just answering "No" to this question, because I think there is only 2 people (many 3) that could piece together what is in them. :D

I'm amazed that XP is still running, looks like you lost half your volume. :(

So yes delete them and do damage control and see what is missing, if nothing then i would convert to NTFS, NTFS is....
    1. more secure
    2. more robust
    3. is much more efficient in storage, fat32 will use 32k per cluster and NTFS will use like 4k per

if you stay with FAT32, try running a checkdsk b4 compression :cool:

4. Godrifle

Godrifle Member

Thanks for the response. I guess what I'm driving at is that these files were obviously created by Parallels compression, and I wanted to give them a heads up that something went a bit wonky with it, and left these enormous files on my disk after some sort of file error.

5. loosegroove

loosegroove Junior Member

I also have a file named 'OptiZero0.dat' however my hdd is formatted as NTFS. It's about 2 GB in size.

Is this in fact a file I can safely delete and reclaim this space?

--
    Bronson

6. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Yes - you should delete it. Your compression session was probably finished unexpectedly...

7. loosegroove

loosegroove Junior Member

Cool. This probably answers my other question:
    http://forum.parallels.com/thread2776.html

Thanks!

--
    Bronson

8. stingerman

stingerman Junior Member

You guys should do a check for these files, I found 3 GB worth dating a few months back.