1940 = slower + issues

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by sandau, Oct 16, 2006.

1. sandau

sandau Member

I feel like 1940 is a downgrade from any of the previous candidates.

- networking was broken after the update, had to delete adapter and re-add.
    - parallels tools gave issues on install, still unsure if its working right
    - my mouse isn't as responsive, pauses at times (may be related to previous)
    - Windows XP under Parallels actually is noticeable slower
    - Multiple issues by other people very visible in the forums

Any news on when all this will be resolved?

Still love the product, bought it several months ago, but I'd like to see a better candidate than 1940, its a step back I think.

Thanks.

2. sandau

sandau Member

more issues:

No longer have copy and paste capability between host and client OS.

Going from Host OS to full screen client no longer automatically puts the OS 'in focus' in the parallels OS, requires a click inside the parallels OS, didn't used to do this. kind of irritating when fast window switching, have to switch to mouse hand to click to do anything so the OS has 'focus'

3. BlueSkyISdotCOM

BlueSkyISdotCOM Member

What Mac system??????

4. sandau

sandau Member

Macbook Pro 2.0ghz 2gb ram, 100gb HD.

5. sandau

sandau Member

More ongoing issues I've found:

Time is always incorrect on resume of paused virtual machine. It used to 'correct' itself automatically, now it doesn't.

On pause of virtual machine, if I'm running Visual Studio 2003, it ALWAYS dies on resume and sends an error report to MS. This never happened prior to 1940.

Both errors make pausing the virtual machine unusable for me.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  6. sandau

sandau Member

Just restarted the machine. Network Adapter is in the same 'broken' mode as it was when I first updated to 1940. Nothing exists in Windows (server 2003).

Will shutdown, delete and re-add adapter, see if it fixes it. (edit: adapter is working after reinstall)

This is definitely the worst release candidate yet. Very flakey.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  7. sandau

sandau Member

This release makes me think that Parallels team lost some source code and we are back about 3 months. Is this what happened?

8. ptruskier

ptruskier Junior Member

FWIW, I am also running a 2 HGz MBP, and Windows XP sp2 under v1940. I haven't experienced a single one of the problems you report.

9. sandau

sandau Member

Perhaps its Windows Server 2003 specific as that is our major difference.

10. sfuller

sfuller Member

I've seen Sandau's issue with the time not syncing properly under XP SP2.

I've also experienced some issues where the parallels won't recognize the resolution of the external display I have it running on. I have to force it to windowed mode and then back to full screen to get things to look right.

I have also been dealing with the "wake from sleep" network difficulties that others in this forum have posted about. I've started shutting down my Windows VMs rather than pausing them to get around this issue as best I can.

11. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

Well I don't have a single one of those issues.

1) I have sound turned off
    2) I don't sleep while Parallels is running. Best I allow is screen saver with login
    3) Networking has ALWAYS worked and works perfectly today
    4) Copy and paste between OSes works for me. In fact it did when I didn't want it to today. Pasted some code into an email by accident.

Not saying your issues don't exist but I'm not seeing any one of them.

M

12. hhwong

hhwong Member

Haven't seen those problems either on my MBP 15" either -- but maybe because I was able to resist the siren song of trying out all those builds. Was running first official release build 1848 until I did the official upgrade to 1940. I use Parallels as my "work" computer, and I wasn't willing to risk my work to play with the interim builds.

Perhaps you need to clean house and reinstall from scratch....

13. sandau

sandau Member

Like I mentioned before, perhaps this is because I'm using WIndows Server 2003. Its a different OS than XP SP2.

Reinstall is not an option, unless its reinstalling parallels from a previous 'working' version. :D

14. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

I have been keeping up with the various Parallels versions. But before I do each and every one I:

1) Clone my MBP to a bootable clone
    2) Backup my VMs to another drive

That way when I install, if anything goes south I can re-clone back from the good backup and be alive and well.

M