AutoCAD on a Mac

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Adam M., Oct 6, 2006.

1. Adam M.

Adam M. Bit poster

I just found out about Parallel yesterday from a forum on another website. The topic arose because I want a Mac but need a drafting program to run my business. I use a PC with AutoCAD and would prefer to keep that format. Then someone suggested Parallel. Has any tried or does anyone know if AutoCAD would work? Also, since I am here, do you still get the problems associated with windows? (I can't even bring myself to capitalize the 'w' in windows.) By problems I mean crashes, viruses etc. I was told with Boot Camp that is the problem when you boot up in windows mode since it is an EXACT copy of windows. My concern would be, with Parallel, since windows is always on, if you had these problems...Ouch.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

2. Adam M.

Adam M. Bit poster

Okay, I just found where to search the forum. I found a thread with someone saying they have CAD 2007 running. I haven't read the whole thing, but it appears as though it works but is slow. I would still appreciate some help resolving my concerns about the windows problems. I hate to trade one headache for another.

Thanks

3. Spunkmeyer

Spunkmeyer Junior Member

If you disable networking, don't get your email on the machine, etc. (basically treat the machine as a standalone box with no Internet functionality) you should be in pretty good shape. Parallels can only run Windows as it exists... those security problems are part and parcel of the problems inherent to the OS.

I run AutoCAD 2004 and have had no problems with it.

4. constant

constant Forum Maven

What Spunkmeyer says about limiting windblows on the net is correct in a technical sense, but not a practical one. You may wish to receive updates for AutoCad, or windwoes itself. A good trick is to create the VM, install windohs and anything else you wish, then copy your ".hdd" file to a safe location. Make regular backups of your data. Then if anything untoward happens to poor little 'ol windoze, you just copy the .hdd file and data back in for a fresh start.

Having 2Gb of ram will be advantageous.

5. irelandshope

irelandshope Junior Member

3D Autocad working great

I wrote a thread about my experience with 3D Autocad in Parallels and its working great.
    See the thread its called "3D AutoCad & Architectural Desktop 2006 Works Perfectly"
    Check it out.