Networking only works with a reboot

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mmleinen, Sep 20, 2006.

1. NosillaCast

NosillaCast Member

Network fix without a reboot

i have occasionally run into this on my MacBook Pro running XP Pro, and I finally figured out a way to get the network connection back on the XP side without rebooting it. On the Mac side, in System Preferences, Network, you'll see the Parallels Host-Guest Adapter. Open it up, you'll see an IP address that starts with a 10. Click on Renew DHCP Lease, the IP address will disappear, and later come back. Go back into Parallels and see if XP has found the network.

I have no idea what causes this, but I sure was happy to find a solution! we get spoiled with the sleep thing, don't we?

Allison
    NosillaCast at http://podfeet.com
    A technology geek podcast with an EVER so slight Macintosh bias!

2. russv

russv Member

Does this work even when running in bridged mode? It seems strange there'd be any interaction with the host-guest adapter under bridged. I actually tried reloading the kernel modules when I saw the behavior (under bridged) and it didn't help - I sure hope you've found a work around.

3. ZBoT

ZBoT Member

I had started a thread on this a while back: http://forums.parallels.com/thread3985.html

1940 still does this for me. I will have to try the work around listed above the next time it does this. Hopefully that will work because I HATE rebooting my MacBook Pro! Please fix this Parallels!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  4. mmleinen

mmleinen Junior Member

NosillaCast:

When I go into the preferences - network I do not see the "Parallels Host-Guest Adapter." Is there something I am missing?

Thanks,
    Randy

5. ZBoT

ZBoT Member

me either... :/

6. lancespeelmon

lancespeelmon Bit poster

I have tried the workaround and it does not work for me. I am *SO* tired of rebotting my Mac to get Parallels to work! Is anyone from Parallels reading these forums? I have submitted bug reports *numerous* times. This used to work fine in the last RC build before the first offiial RTM release. This is a regression, fix it guys! Thanks, L

7. mokelvey

mokelvey Bit poster

This does not work on my Mac Mini running 10.4.8 and XP Home (upgraded to current)
    mokelvey

8. mokelvey

mokelvey Bit poster

It's "Network>Show:>Network Port Configurations" (dropdown menu) - the dropdown menu should be drag/arranged so that Built-In ethernet is at the top, then (where appropriate) Airport, then (my guess) Parallels Host-Guest Adapter, then the others, with Modem or Bluetooth last (if you have both, Modem goes last). This arrangement of the order is according to an AppleCare agent during part of my research on this problem. THIS IS A KNOTTY PROBLEM, and I still have not solved it. In fact, I have deactivated the Parallels Host-Guest Adapter, and everything still works until that mysterious point where the Mac side SPONTANEOUSLY resets its IP Address (begins with 169 - which indicates the router is not talking to the Mac). NOTE: I have also tried manually assigning IP Address, Subnet and Router and LOCKING the set up. After a while, instead of spontaneously resetting the IP Address, the system just kicks the network communication shut.
    mokelvey

9. workuser

workuser Bit poster

Additional information

I am experiencing a similar problem. In reading through the thread, I susspect it is somehow Macbook Pro related. Is anyone experiencing this on another machine?

Some additional information:
    - problem persists when only one internet connection is available (i.e., turn off airport, still cannot connect from Parallels via ethernet jack)
    - when the problem occurs, attempting to get a new IP address (via ipconfig -renew) will time out, only about 2 mins later will Parallels show an IP address again
    - IP address in PC does not match IP address in Macintosh
    - PC thinks it's connected to the internet, but no DNS works
    - PC shows data connection is active, but packets are only sent, never received

System Info
    - MB Pro
    - Parallels with Windows XP

10. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Just for your information guys, I had the exact same problem moving from the office to my home network, but that was with my Thinkpad Windows XP Pro machine, not the Mac. If I put my XP machine to sleep, disconnect and bring it back home, reconnect and then unsleep I have issues with windows trying to reconnect to the network.

To resolve this issue with the Thinkpad, I proceed in the following fashion when I want to leave the office and bring it back home. I first disconnect the network while the thinkpad is still on. This lets it detects there was a disconnection. Then I put it to sleep. When at home I turn it first on, wait 2 or 3 minutes, then connect it back to my home network. Always disconnecting and reconnecting while the machine is alive as kept me from having network issues with XP.

Maybe you should try that.

11. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Oh,

And I forgot to mention, on the windows in parallels on my Mac Book Pro, I never have this issue, but then I never let the windows session sleep, I always reboot it whenever I need it and do a shutdown when I'm finished using it.

I use a windows XP-Pro with 1Gb allocated to it. It is actually very fast to boot as I have disabled a lot of the servces in windows.

12. mokelvey

mokelvey Bit poster

I have been having nightmares trying to get onto this forum - the Parallels website is bollixed, and my normal logins do not work, nor do the ones they send me - except for one day, so far. However I have good news.

Well its sort of good. The problem of networking NOTworking can be solved by reverting to OS X 10.4.5. Maybe 10.4.6 is OK, too, but none of the fixes offered by AppleCare (This is a Mac problem - NOT A PARALLELS PROBLEM) worked.

Zapping the PRAM didn't solve it, re-arranging the Network Port Configurations didn't solve it, nor did setting the Energy Saver to Computer Never Sleeps and unchecking Put HDs to Sleep when Possible did not solve the problem.

The solution is that 10.4.7 and 10.4.8 are flawed upgrades for SOME Intel Core Duo processors and the system should be downgraded to 10.4.5 (and maybe 10.4.6) until the Apple people solve the system software flaws. This is the solution that worked for me. I hope it helps someone else.
    mokelvey

13. Djehuti

Djehuti Bit poster

FWIW this seems to be fixed with the Parallels Desktop 2.5 beta 3036 build.

14. ZBoT

ZBoT Member

I thought it was too, until this morning. Once again I had to reboot my entire Macbook Pro. I really wish they would get this fixed.

15. metz123

metz123 Bit poster

Still happens

Yes, this absolutely still happens with the latest Beta release and it drives me mad. This is XP in parallels. I switch quite frequently from wireless to wired on my macbook pro and this just does not work. XP gets an IP address, it can send packets but no packets get received.

Workarounds I've tried...

1) shutdown & restart XP in parallels - Nope, I never receive a packet.
    2) disconnect my parallels network and reconnect. - XP recognises the event but this doesn't fix it.
    3) try switching to shared network - Again XP reconfigures but never a packet is recieved.
    4) Host only network - Same thing...
    5) Pause my session & start it again - Nope

The only thing that works is a complete reboot of my macbook pro. This kills me because w/o parallels I can go a month without needing to reboot my Mac.

Any other suggestions or any acknowledgment that Parallels is at least looking at this issue?

16. ZBoT

ZBoT Member

I hear you. I soooo wish they would fix this. I HATE REBOOTING MY MAC! :mad: :mad:

17. brunomelobr

brunomelobr Bit poster

Same problem in 2014...19.3.0 version.

18. brunomelobr

brunomelobr Bit poster

Same problem in 2024...19.3.0 version.