Assistance please with Win xp installation

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Chuck Daily, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Chuck Daily

Chuck Daily Bit poster

Hello, I'm having trouble installing xp. The install process works fine and then asks me for a copy of win 95 or 98? What's this about? I don't have old windows operating systems. Has anyone else had this problem or know any solutions? Thanks

2. Kort

Kort Junior Member

Are you using the XP-Upgrade disk? I believe you will need the full release to do your install or have the older disks for the XP install to scan to let the upgrade routine confirm you owned the older version before it can complete the install of XP.

3. Chuck Daily

Chuck Daily Bit poster

xp won't complete installation

Hello, Thanks for your reply. I am using xp professional that is not an upgrade product from an older operating system. I specifically bought windows xp from a retailer. Any other suggestions?

4. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

When you select new VM from Parallels did you specify WinXP as the operating system from the drop down option box?

ajm

5. davide

davide Member

It does sound like you ended up with the upgrade package rather than the full install. Retailers sell both. I actually had a hard time finding the full install package; the first few places I looked only had the upgrade. The retail packages are VERY similar.

Check your receipt and then check the box. :)

6. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

Also, if you did by the Full Retail version, there is a point in the installation where it will ask you if this is a new installation or an upgrade? And it will warn you that if you pick "new" you will lose all your previous data. Be sure you pick new.