Trying to use Linux on Parrallels but unsure how to?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by trleslie, Oct 18, 2006.

1. trleslie

trleslie Bit poster

Very new to Linux but thought i would try it instead of buying Windows. Downloaded a version of Debian Linux and put it on a cd. When i try to install Linux on Parrallels it says i have no boot disc loaded. Do i need a specific type of Debian download? I'm in way over my head here or is it not completely complicated?
    Would appreciate some help
    Thanks
    Travis

2. davide

davide Member

I would reccomend you try Ubuntu Linux. It runs just fine in Parallels, and a lot of folks here use it so help is easy to get if you need it. Go to http://www.ubuntu.com/ and download the Intel x86 desktop CD. You don't even need to burn the CD.

Once you download the iso file, create a "other linux" VM in Parallels. Then set the VM to use the iso file as the CD. When you start the VM, Ubuntu will load the live CD and you can have a look. In order to install permanently into the VM, simply click the install icon on the Ubuntu desktop.

Enjoy.

3. trleslie

trleslie Bit poster

Thanks alot, i'll give it a try

4. CJB

CJB Bit poster

Why bother installing? There is a thread in the forum for downloading Linux images for Parallels here, http://forum.parallels.com/thread4065.html. It'll save the headache of installing. Just download and run.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
  5. davide

davide Member

That's a possibility. But some folks prefer to download software from official sites, and validate with MD5 and PGP keys for example. :) Plus if you want to learn about Linux, the best way is to do it yourself.

6. Redog99

Redog99 Bit poster

Headache? How about the headache of getting Bittorrent to work thru a router, the headache of spending days to download, the headache of having a corrupted download after all that effort. It seems to me that a lot of people in that thread were having headaches... :)

Pat

7. CJB

CJB Bit poster

Waiting for the download was easier than installing from scratch, which was a giant headache, and then finding out Ubuntu wouldn't network with a Windows machine. There are many different Linux types, at least with the Parallels images, you can try them out first. Trleslie sounded lost, this is just an option. Sorry about your bad experience.

8. sandau

sandau Member

i simply can't get any of the ubuntu server's to install. any tips? they just hang at random times during installation.