Using Windows XP from my Dell?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by estleman@yahoo.com, Oct 19, 2006.

1. estleman@yahoo.com

estleman@yahoo.com Bit poster

Does anyone know if you can use the Windows XP reinstallation cd from a Dell or do I have to go buy a brand new full version of Windows XP? Any help on this issue would be great.
    Thanks, Scott

2. constant

constant Forum Maven

It should be o.k. It will probably format the VM disk at the start of the install, but that should not be a problem. It could be if you wished to do a re-install at a later stage.

3. GeezerGeek

GeezerGeek Bit poster

The copy of XP that came with my Dell would only install on another Dell computer. I think it checks the BIOS for a Dell text string during installation. If it doesn't work, though, you wouldn't need to buy the full XP. I used an upgrade copy to create my Parallels XP VM. You just need to have a copy of some version of Windows to prove prior ownership. The good news is that doing it this way I made it through Windows Product Activation as well as passing the "Genuine Windows Advantage" test when I upgraded the image to IE 7.

4. Chris Price

Chris Price Junior Member

This is also a violation of your Windows license. You cannot use a Dell/OEM license on a machine other than it was bundled with. Now, you might say that you don't care, but Windows Genuine Advantage does, and has been known to invalidate such improperly licensed installations.

5. David Corrales

David Corrales Hunter

Windows licenses are a bitch.

6. constant

constant Forum Maven

7. craigb6

craigb6 Bit poster

I tried this a few months ago. I installed Windows XP Pro fine with the Dell disc, but when it wanted to activate it knew that something wasn't quite right. So I ended up buying a new OEM copy of Windows.