DVD Shrink

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ripfrankwhite, Oct 19, 2006.

1. ripfrankwhite

ripfrankwhite Junior Member

I am using an iMac and running DVD Shrink under Parallels. It gets an error every time. But it works with Bootcamp. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am new here and would appreciate any help. Thanks a lot.

2. pastrychef

pastrychef Member

I have the same problem. However, if I use DVD Shrink with a disc image it works fine.

3. ripfrankwhite

So what should I do? Create a disc image from my DVD then run DVD Shrink? If so, how do I do that? Thanks a lot.

4. pastrychef

pastrychef Member

Use DVD Decrypter to create an ISO disc image. Then run DVD Shrink on the ISO.

5. ripfrankwhite

Thanks a lot!

6. ripfrankwhite

Still didn't work. It says that I've run out of memory. I don't understand. I wish I could get this to work. I'd buy it if it worked.

7. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

I can't get anything to read a CSS encrypted disc in Windows under Parallels.

It could be the same issue that causes copy-protected discs to not work in the VMs.

I reccomend ripping the .vob files on the Mac side, then converting them using the shared files functionallity in Parallels.

(All of this assumes you are not in the US. It is illegal to rip a DVD in the US... thank you DMCA.)

8. ripfrankwhite

I can get the data off of the disc just fine with DVD Decrypter. But when I try to use DVD Shrink, it gets about half-way throught and I get an error. The error says that I've run out of memory/storage or sometimes it says Exception occurred.

In other words, the problem is with DVD Shrink only. Thanks for the advice. Keep it coming.

By the way, it works fine in Bootcamp with a tiny partition, so space/memory is not the problem.

9. pastrychef

pastrychef Member

Hmm. That's very strange because I've used DVD Shrink on several ISO images with no problems at all... :confused:

10. ripfrankwhite

I give up. My free trial will end soon. DVD Shrink just doesn't work with Parallels. I'll just have to stick with Bootcamp. Thanks anyway guys.

11. shaneblyth

shaneblyth Member

Hey i just downloaded the latest shrink dvd and it worked fine for me
    The error you get maybe you are running out of memory or dont have enough allocated
    I have 1.25 gigs of ram and 384 megs is set to parallels. I also have compressions on in the VM and dont have alot installed

12. ripfrankwhite

I have 2gb and allocated 512mb to Parallels. I have compression turned off. I've tried on my iMac and MacBook with the same results. Gonna try again right now.

13. ripfrankwhite

Same problem. Keep getting errors. Different errors each time, but errors none-the-less. I wonder what I'm doing different from you. Set up with 512mb memory and 20gb hard drive space. Everything runs fine. I don't know what else to do.

14. ripfrankwhite

Ok, I tried it again. This time I allocated 1gb of memory for Parallels. It made it over half way this time. And I watched the Activity Monitor in OS X as the memory usage in Parallels rose to 924mb, then it stopped again. Windows said that I ran out of virtual memory and DVD Shrink said again that I was out of memory. Any more suggestions?

I also noticed that the amount buffered in the encoding window continued to increase until it reached about 2,000mb!!! When I run it in Bootcamp the amount buffered doesn't get any higher than 66mb. What is going on? Thanks guys.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  15. joem

joem Forum Maven

Why make things so complicated? Get macTheRipper. Rip the DVD to your HD. Get Toast 7, and tell it to make the movie fit on one DVD. Simple. What is it they say about Mac stuff? It just works?

16. ripfrankwhite

That doesn't work with new movies. Toast wont compress a lot of the newer ones. Also, MTR can't handle many of the bad sector problems. Sony and Dinsney discs are tough.

"Try AnyDVD on Windows... they're the most advanced, as far as dealing with new copy protections."-The Deveoloper of MacTheRipper

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  17. joem

joem Forum Maven

Toast won't compress movies that have been successfully ripped and de-everythinged? (I think I just made up a word). I'm surprised. BTW, MacTheRipper v3 is in beta.

One of these days the copy protection folks are going to realize they've lost the war, and stop trying to prevent people from doing what they're going to figure out how to do anyway. Making a copy of anything you give a little kid is mandatory, IMNSHO.

18. ripfrankwhite

So nobody here has gotten DVD Shrink to work? Just checking. If so, let us know. Thanks.

19. GFBurke

GFBurke Member

Havnt attempted, but I could.
    Try turning off all the fisher price interface in XP, then msconfig all startup crap - then test.

An XP SP2 install takes up close to 4GB. Your DVD could be 4GB's as well.

20. ripfrankwhite

Still nothing? Anyone get DVD Shink to work? Thanks