Upgrade 1848 to 1940 on MBP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by fredchan, Oct 18, 2006.

1. fredchan

fredchan Junior Member

i've been using 1848 for a wille and works great on MBP. Before i upgrade to 1940, i'd like to be sure that it will work as great as before, and if i can downgrade to 1848 if not. Where can we find the 1848? Can someone encourage me to upgrade, i've read so many bad report on the post. Thanks.

2. AlanH

AlanH Pro

I've stalled on build 1920, because the next step I tried, 1922, gave bad results. If you have a working build I suggest sticking with it unless you have specific issues that you know are fixed by a later one. I still want to get copy/paste to Windows 98 working, which is why I tried 1922, but I've decided to stop worrying about it as it's a small thing compared wiith the hassle of updating, trying, failing and falling back.

Re. the old version downloads, I suggest you keep any installer you use, at least until you decide whether you may want to be able to run it again. Old versions are probably available on the Parallels site, but it's way easier to just re-run the one you downloaded before.

3. hhwong

hhwong Member

The upgrade from 1848 to 1940 worked for me pretty well. The only minor glitch was that I made the effort to uninstall the old version of Parallel tools before installing the new one, and it took a lot of patience to not hit cancel. Other than that it seems to work very well.

Also, be cognizant of different modal windows that Parallels sometimes throws up behind other windows (race conditions between the messages it throws up and me clicking around the Parallels menu). It made it seem that Parallels isn't responding, but if you hit enter, it continues on its merry way.

4. sandau

sandau Member

I was fine until 1922, but 1940 has issues (for me). I wish I would have stayed with 1922.

5. fredchan

fredchan Junior Member

i've finally made a test for 1940, but when i want to run my virtual hd, i've got a message that ask me again to register, and after i've put my regitration key, it tells me that this key doesn't fits with this version. Can any one help me?

6. joem

joem Forum Maven

Now what is the point of posting that?

If you describe the issues, someone might be able to help you get around them, or you might help someone who would have the same problems, but just saying you have issues is just inconveniencing a bunch of electrons for no really good reason.

7. joem

joem Forum Maven

You can safely ignore the extra registration request. If Parallels starts, and lets you start your VM, your license is valid, and if you have registered, you don't need to register again.

8. fredchan

fredchan Junior Member

I cannot ignore the registration request, and when i try to activate again, it tells me :"The activation key cannot be used with the current version of the Parallels Desktop!". And before i had the message "permanant activation". i had to download a trial key to be able to work for the moment.

9. sandau

sandau Member

well, i've posted several threads, no answers in those that are useful, so what's the point of reposting them in another thread? Click my id and find posts, you'll see PLENTY of 1940 issues I've posted.

10. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

I was also queried about the registration but plowed through it. It worked fine and the Parallel tools installed and worked perfectly as always. I'm running a MacBook Pro and have been trouble-free for months.

I also agree it is a waste of time to not migrate to the newer releases. As beta testers (and we are beta testers) we need to do our part to make this a better product. Anyone who uses the beta versions should expect to see glitches and unexpected behavior and relay that back to Parallels so they can correct the problems. I've upgraded the betas regularly and have never had a problem so have not had anything to report - that's why it's important for those with problems to loop back to the mother ship with the details of their circumstances.

dp

11. cam815

cam815 Member

Without more rigorous testing and going back to 1848 I can't be 100% sure, but I believe that 1848 ran better for me than 1940 on my 1.8ghz MBP.

Firing up Parallels since my upgrade leaves me out of a RAM a lot more often with the same configuration as I had in 1848. I'm getting the Apple "thinking" colorwheel a lot more often and switching between apps and the VM and OS X seems to take longer.

Granted I only have 1gb of RAM, but I swear things seemed to run a lot smoother pre-1940 for me.

Just my two cents.