Upgraded now Mouse & Keyboard dont work

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Kort, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Kort

Kort Junior Member

I received an upgrade notice this morning so I downloaded and installed Oct. 11 Build 1940. Prior to the install my system worked flawlessly. After the install upon first run I was told to go to VM and install the latest version of tools. I did this and afterwards my mouse and keyboard no longer work. Before the upgrade I could move the mouse from windows to mac seamlessly now I have to use the Ctl+Alt to release the keyboad and mouse back to the Mac.

Booting windows into safe mode makes no difference so I must assume this is a Parallels issue.

I am running a MacBook Pro with 2 gigs ram, and XP-Pro in the VM. I use windows daily for corporate access and other needs that Mac cannot address.

How do I either;

1) Fix this install
    or
    2) Roll back to what I had prior to this update.

All help will be appreciated as I am now at a dead stop, work wise, until I regain access to my system.

Thanks

-Kort

2. kgregc

kgregc Member

Did you install the update on top of the installed Parallels, or did you delete the older version and do a new install?

A delete old/install new might help.

Greg

3. Kort

Kort Junior Member

Since I have sofware installed and data to save, I did the Parallels upgrade. I did not uninstall and reinstall. The Tools upgrade was also done as an upgrade. I did not uninstall tools first.

4. mmcneely

mmcneely Bit poster

Had the same problem. Reinstalled tools twice, complete system re-boot & now works great

5. Kort

Kort Junior Member

Are you saying you had to uninstall and reinstall Parallels? If so don't you lose your XP install along with the programs and data?

6. Kort

Kort Junior Member

Ok, I have uninstalled and reinstalled Parallels. Still no mouse or keyboard control. The keyboard does work when booting because I can F8 and start in safe mode and last good config but once booted in any scenario the mouse and keyboard do not work. I tried to run the Tools Upgrade but without access to my keyboard or mouse I cant complete the install as it occurs in Windows. Any other ideas???? I'm running defrag right now just in case that makes a difference.

7. joem

joem Forum Maven

No, the uninstall does not touch the VMs. This is consistent with normal uninstall practice which is to uninstall only what was installed, and never touch user data (the VM is user data).

In fact, the uninstaller does not remove everything. It leaves preferences and license data alone.

8. Kort

Kort Junior Member

It seems like the issue is with the Tools install into XP. I suspect tools controls the mouse and keyboard. I'm still waiting for a reply from tech support. If they have a fix that does not involve reinstalling from scratch and losing the data in the VM, I'll post the solution. If anyone else has had this issue and has the fix, please post.

9. Sideways

Sideways Member

Kort,
    not sure if its the way things are written that I'm mis-interpreting, but the comment in the thread was to re-install tools in the XP instance, not to re-install Parallels itself.

If you re-install parallels itself you'll still have the same problem. Hit Install Parallel Tools on the logged in instance. This should cause either an uninstall of tools altogether or an upgrade in place under XP. The behaviour seems to vary from build to build. If it uninstalls tools, allow the reboot of XP. When rebooted, log in and do the same thing again to re-install tools. This should fix the mouse and keyboard problem (logitech issues that I've logged elsewhere not withstanding)

If that's what you did, ignore the comments :)

Paul

10. Kort

Kort Junior Member

Paul

I unfortunately cannot reinstall tools since that requires the ability to use the mouse in the XP session. Unless there is another way. If so I'd love to learn about it. Its been over a week since I requested assistance from tech support and still no reply. If any tech guys read this perhaps you can offer some assistance.

-Kort

11. joem

joem Forum Maven

It sounds as if your guest installation is damaged. You can create a new VM, install your guest OS, and then attach your old .hdd file as a second disk. You can then either copy your data to the new instance, or attempt to repair the old one by modifying the disk image from the other system. If you attempt to fix the old one, you will, of course, be working on a copy so that if you have to backtrack and take another path, you can do so.

If you leave the original VM set up as is, you can just shut down the new VM and start the old one to see if your fix worked. As long as you only run one at a time, you can go back and forth as desired. Ain't virtualization wonderful?