Clipboard synchronization has been broken…

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Moondougie, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Moondougie

Moondougie Member

…for me, since the first update after RC1

up until then, I was able to copy something from an Excel document on the OSX side and then go into a Windows program, running in Parallels and paste the contents of my clipboard without problem.

For the last three updates however, when I paste the clipboard, the last character/digit in the clipboard doesn't paste into the Windows application.

When I look at the contents of the clipboard in the Clipboard Synchronization Current Clipboard Content window the last character IS there, but it doesn't paste. Right now the contents of my clipboard, according the Parallels Tool Center is 1196E2 but when I paste in my Windows application all I get is 1196E (the 2 doesn't come along with the rest of it.)

I would really like to use the nice new features and bug fixes that Parallels comes up with in each new update, but I do a LOT of copying (from OS X) and pasting (into Windows XP) and if this can't be fixed I'm going to have to, once again, go back to the original RC1, which (and every version before that) worked without problem.

Any ideas for fixing this?

2. Moondougie

Moondougie Member

ok, looks like I'm maybe the only one with this problem - since it's driving me crazy to have to manually type the last character in after each paste (I probably do this 100 or so times every work day), I'm going back (what's it, 3 versions?) to the original RC so I can get some work done

maybe Crossover will work with this app soon and I won't have to go back and forth, trying each Parallels update to see if it works on my computer again…

3. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

Your, not the only one with this problem...

Im not sure what is the issue here, but I know Parallels is aware of it.

4. rdhyee

rdhyee Bit poster

me too: Release 1922 rc2

For me running Parallels Desktop for the Mac (r1922 rc2) and Win XP as the guest OS, I see the same problem. The last character is dropped going from the host OS X -> guest OS WinXP. Synchronization seems to be going well the other way.

5. AlanH

AlanH Pro

With Win 98se I get the opposite. Only the FIRST character is transferred to the guest OS. Works fine the other way. Running RC 2 build 1920, but tried it briefly in 1922 and it was the same.

[Reverted to 1920 because virtualisation failed in 1922.]

6. aosterday

aosterday Bit poster

Just the opposite...

I am able to copy from Mac to PC without any issues, but often have trouble copying text in a Java applet on the PC to Mac (Dreamweaver8.) Either nothing copies/pastes, or past copies paste, not the most recent copy. the clipboard synch is enabled, but i cant clear the clipboard. it's as if it is frozen. thoughts?

7. Moondougie

Moondougie Member

has this been fixed yet (version released on 10/11)?

I'll download and install it if it has, otherwise I'm staying with original RC…

8. ReneS

ReneS Member

I Have same problem with build 1940. Cannot copy from Shared folder to windows. Error message is "cannot read from source disk" etc.

Before it worked....

9. Jancw

Jancw Bit poster

clipboard one way only

I just installed the oct release, and I can copy from mac to windows, but not back again. Any ideas?

10. ithacalaw

ithacalaw Junior Member

I posted the same problem independently (I also e-mailed you). Here is my own post url:
    http://forum.parallels.com/thread5214.html

I have spent some time trying to get this working to no avail. V. frustrating.

or in full:

My newly purchased Parallels Desktop for Mac was defective - forced my Mac Pro to restart/crashed when I launced Windows XP Pro. Parallels told me to upgrade the version:

http://download.parallels.com/GA/Par...940-Mac-en.dmg

This worked fine, but when I run a new copy of Windows XP pro as a virtual machine I cannot copy or cut from any application in the Windows XP pro virtual machine and paste to my Mac Pro. When I look at the synchronization tools clipboard the selected/copied text is there ready to be pasted. Nothing happens when I go to applications on my Mac Pro machine and paste. I have tried this with several applications (including Word).

HOWEVER: The reverse is not true. I can readily copy from Mac Pro and paste to applications in the Windows XP Pro virtual machine!

What am I doing wrong.? Is there something I need to toggle on the Mac Pro or on the virtual machine? Have I not switched something on correctly on the virtual machine (synchronization is enabled).

I purchased this software for this express purpose - being able to copy from RDC and other applications on Windows XP pro to my Mac Pro. Hence, this is now a very useful piece of software. On the plus side - Windows XP pro VM RUNS VERY FAST!

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN OFFER.

11. ithacalaw

ithacalaw Junior Member

I posted this question to Macforum and had this reply:
    Have you formatted your windows as fat or ntfs, I think I have read that it needs to be Fat.

Try this fix out - i will tomorrow and post again if this works!

12. Jancw

Jancw Bit poster

ntfs quick

I just followed the little guide and chose ntfs quick as the format for the drive. That's what it said to do. If it turns out that it has to be FAT to work, do we have to reinstall completely and lost everything?

13. joem

joem Forum Maven

A Windows 2000 or XP guest should use the NTFS format, which is much more robust than FAT32. There is no issue with copying since it's Windows that's reading and writing the Windows virtual disk. The Mac won't read or write the Windows disk under any circumstances (unless you really stand on your head, but there's no need).

Just share the folder you want to copy from or to (either will work) on the network, and connect over the network in the other OS, and copy away. In fact, using a network share, you can copy in both directions. IE if you share a Mac folder on the network, you can copy to and from that folder in Windows. If you share a Windows directory on the network, you can copy both ways from OSX as long as the VM is running.

14. AlanH

AlanH Pro

I don't believe the disk file system can have any effect on copy/paste operations between host and guest. The whole operation should be performed in memory. Clipboards are not disk files, they are memory objects, and it's Parallels' task to convert between the two memory formats to do the magic and make them talk to each other. Even a file on the clipboard is actually just a link to a file, not the contents of the file.

15. Godrifle

Godrifle Member

Same problem here. Frustratingly, this is one of several problems that haven't been resolved after countless updates. The other major one is that WinXP locks up on my iMac after waking from sleep. Then, when I stop the virtual machine, Parallels locks up, and has to be killed. ARG!

16. Moondougie

Moondougie Member

has this been fixed on the newest version of Parallels? (the one that can use Boot Camp partition)

I'd love to upgrade and try it out, but don't wast to have to keep manually typing the last character of the clipboard because Parallels won't do it for me…

I'd normally just try it and see for myself, but it looks like this latest version may be a little more temperamental and I'd rather find out if it's been fixed before I try updgrading

17. Moondougie

Moondougie Member

YES!

pasting works correctly and I'm using the beta now

…now, when they fix the bug that doesn't let Parallels Desktop boot from FAT32 Boot Camp I'll be stylin!