Is a dual printer possible?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Stevamundo, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

I just got a HP all in one printer. The HP can run on both OS X and XP.

I installed it on OS X first. Then I tried to install it into XP. I got the dreaded “the device is in use, wait 5-10 seconds blah BS." Now I understand that message because technically, my HP is using OS X BUT NOT SIMULTANEOUSLY OR ALWAYS.

My comment is that Parallels should let you share OR let you select your USB devices on which operating system you want.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  2. waterhead37

waterhead37 Member

I think this is an HP problem. I have a Canon which works fine in both Parallels and on the Mac.

3. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

Actually, I think it is the software that hp installs that constantly monitors printer.

I have an HP all in one 3310 and the one nice thing is it comes wireless and i have it just setup with drivers under Mac and Win without all the mgmt software. I also share the printer on network with other computers in home office

the only thing i loose from not having software loaded, is being able to put doc on printer and hit scan on printer. all i have to do is manually start hp scan software to scan.

4. Mr SA

Mr SA Member

Picture two completely separate physical computers - a PC and a Mac. There is one printer, one cable and it can only be connected to one computer at a time. In this situation, you know that you need to unplug the printer from the Mac in order to plug it into the PC.

However, you can set the printer up on one computer and then set that computer to accept print jobs over a network connection (printer sharing).

It is no different under Parallels. Any other approach will be endlessly tied into dependencies on other vendor software and OS service packs behaving nicely.

5. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

So I can do print sharing between Parallels and my iMac?

Somebody please explain to me how I can do that.

Please remember that I'm not on any network. Just a basic DSL Internet connection at home.

My new printer is: HP Photosmart C3180 all in one.

6. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

Stevamundo, your problem is easily solved using Bonjour.

For details see the thread in this forum titled: "USB Printing problem solved! (Generic solution?)"

This thread is a sticky thread, so it stays up near the top.

I have an HP all in one printer working with Parallels. In Mac mode, I can use it as a printer, scanner, fax, copier etc. Through Bonjour, in Windows mode, I can use it as a printer (but not as scanner etc.) This solution works well. Once you set it up, you can print from both the Mac and the Virtual Machine with no fuss.

7. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

Thank you Purplish.

8. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

I downloaded Bonjour and it doesn't work.

However I didn't install the printer's XP software. I take it that I need to do that before Bonjour works???

9. Victor

Victor Member

I have an HP all-in-one (HP6180C I think it is) and I installed the OS X software. On installing Parallels XP I reinstalled the XP drivers.

I dont know if it makes a difference, but I have connected the printer via WLAN not USB or cabled LAN. Everything works correctly, scan, print and fax.

YMMV

10. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

I don't think you need to install the HP software. It should work using the OS X drivers through Bonjour. YOu have to turn on printer sharing etc as mentioned in the thread.

11. Mr SA

Mr SA Member

Alternative that uses Windows drivers

While the Bonjour method works for many users, it does have difficulties with the particular settings on some printers. That is why I have put together instructions for the alternative method that allows use of the Windows printer driver...

The instructions are here

12. ircoha

ircoha Bit poster

Newbie here, what is the link for bonjour please/
    merci!

13. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

Well I've erased everything. I erased Bonjour I erased my HP XP software. I'm too paranoid that I'll do something to screw up my speakerphone modem.

That's all you need to do is to install Bonjour On Windows and turn on the printer sharing on the Mac side? Or there's more to it?

14. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

"That's all you need to do is to install Bonjour On Windows and turn on the printer sharing on the Mac side"

That did it! I thought what the hell I'll try this. So I turned on the printer sharing on the Mac side and then I re-installed Bonjour on the Windows side.

Now I can print on both operating systems. Thank you purplish.

PS my speakerphone modem is still working. :D

15. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro